General discussion

Slideshow Software Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for software to use to create a simple slideshow of jpeg files with an MP3 file in the background. I'm looking for nice transitions with the ability to play music simultaneously. The file must be 'auto-play' capable either on CD or DVD or even a Flash drive.

Can PowerPoint be used? Or can you recommend another?

This will be used in a church for a memorial ceremony. (about 3 minutes duration only....ie. the length of one song)

Need to complete by this Thursday!!
Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Slideshow Software Recommendations
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Slideshow Software Recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Excellent

Powerpoint is the best. To add music go to "Insert" then "Insert sound file" !!! Very easy. Presentation will look professional!!

hope this helps google003

- Collapse -
Try Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition

I have used Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition to place slides and music with my own narration. If you are looking for something like a family album or something use this. Wows the socks off of girls and will make you an easy millionaire.

Everyone uses Power Point for drab slide shows...but if you want the women to look....give em' some hype! You won't be disappointed.

- Collapse -
ProShow Gold / Producer

I use <b>ProShow</b> from Photodex and liked it so much that I upgraded to the Producer version. It's great value and it does a lot with audio and video too. You can use it to generate standalone .exe slide-shows, DVDs, CD ROMs as well as a range of streaming media formats for the web too. The software takes just minutes to get to know.

<a href="http://www.photodex.com/products/producer/">http://www.photodex.com/products/producer/</a>

G.F. <a href="http://www.bmmedia.co.uk" title="BMMedia Multimedia and Website Design, Edinburgh">http://www.bmmedia.co.uk</a>

- Collapse -
Photo DVD slideshow software

I'm also looking for software to make decent photo slide shows that I can burn to DVD. I need software that allows you to create DVD menus and have several slide shows on a single DVD. I also want pan and zoom effects and music.

I've looked at Nero but it doesn't allow for multiple slide shows on the same DVD.

I've also looked at Ulead Systems CD/DVD PictureShow 4. It accommodates multiple slide shows and menus, but allows only ten (10!) slides per show. Get real. What myopic thinking!

Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition is no longer supported plus the user reviews on Amazon.com are awful.

It appears that the standard version of Photodex (which is affordable) will burn to VCD but not DVD. The next upgrade is about ten times the price but does output to DVD. I don't know about multiple slide shows on the same disc. I stopped at the price.

What I want to do initially is put photos from several years of family gatherings on one DVD with an introductory menu where the veiwer can select which year they want to view. Why is this so hard?

Does anyone have any good suggestions. By the way, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. $30 or $40 will do.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
proshow gold

Debron,
Look again at Proshow gold. It is a great slide show program. It will burn DVD as will as VCD's. When you use make a DVD you will have the option of menus and you can put multiple shows onto one DVD. It will also burn ISO files making multiple copies very very fast and easy. I actually have the Producer version now. I started with the Gold version. Seriously, you will not want to have any other program. As technical support goes the are great in email responses within a day and 800 number to call and will answer in just a few minutes. Oh,You can even edit audio files.
Karen

- Collapse -
ProShow Gold

Shaysmon3 -

Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded the trial version of ProShow Gold. It is a very nice program. I like the control you have over each slide. At $70 it's more than I wanted to spend for a "hobby" program but will probably buy it anyway. It's just so much fun.

However, I'm having a problem creating DVDs and executable files. The program gives me one chance to create a DVD and an executable file, but no more unless I uninstall then reinstall the software. I don't know if this is just a quirk in the trial version or what. Photodex tech support has been trying to help me, but so far to no avail. If I can't get this worked out I'm not sure it's worth buying.

- Collapse -
proshow gold

Hi Debron,
Give the people at prow show a call. It is toll free. They are very very helpful. Maybe with the trial version you may be limited with what you can do.

CNET Forums

Forum Info