Computer Help forum

General discussion

sleeping computer won't wake up

by woody5jn / February 2, 2009 4:15 AM PST

Yeah kinda self-explanatory. My computer, which i'm running vista, will go into sleep mode and won't come back up. Also when i turn it off, it won't reboot. the power light comes on and the fan too, but the computer boot up. I have to let it sit for a little bit and when i come back it will. the computer will act like it is running something when nothing is being ran at times, in turn slowing it down. I have defraged it,did a disk clean, and ran a virus/spyware scan. I run ONECARE. Can anyone tell what the heck is going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sleeping computer won't wake up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sleeping computer won't wake up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sleeping computer questions
by manmur / February 3, 2009 2:52 PM PST

What kind of anti-spyware and anti-virus are you running?

Did your computer came with Vista or did you up grade?

Which version of Vista do you have?(Home Premium, Ultimate)

Also please provide some more system information (like RAM, age of the computer)

Also your post some what confused me as it seems that you are not ending any of your sentiences. This is one from your post: "I have to let it sit for a little bit and when i come back it will." I did assume that the computer did came on after awhile. On your next post please finish your sentiences so we know what it is you are trying to say. I am not trying to be mean or anything of the sort, I just want to point that out to you.

manmur

Collapse -
in a hurry
by woody5jn / February 4, 2009 2:54 AM PST

yeah, i wrote that in 2 minutes. Sorry for not being clear enough for you. Basically what is going on, I run Vista home ( i think and almost sure of) on a HP Pavilion. My processor is an AMD Turion 64x2 @ 1.60Ghz and I have 1G of Ram. There is 111G of hard disk and i'm not even using half of that. My spyware/virus scanner is ONECARE, which is up to date on all definitions.

Now the computer will go to sleep and will not boot back up. I will then proceed to turn off the computer, in turn hoping it will reboot, but it doesn't for a good 10-20 mins. I will walk back after that period of time and start the computer up and it will boot up just fine. I have also been noticing that the computer will be acting like it is running a program, which it is not. i will check my task manager under processes and nothing is running that shouldn't be.

I have ran my spyware/virus scanner, defragged, and cleaned the disk space. No virsus and no spyware. The only thing i think it could be is the processor. I'm not sure.

i hope that was a little more clear. bc i'm about to just drop this and get a mac

Collapse -
onecare
by manmur / February 4, 2009 6:15 PM PST
In reply to: in a hurry

Yes, that is a lot more clearer for me.

I have Three more question for you.

How long have you used Onecare?

What did you use before Onecare?

Are you willing to remove Onecare and try out some other anti-malware programs?

I am asking only for the reason that I think the issue has to due with Onecare. However I have never used the program so I would not know for sure. I do not think that it is the processor. I think that it could be a malware issue also.

if you do decide to try out a new Security program; Download.com has a list of recommended free security software that may help at: http://www.download.com/2701-20_4-6-1.html?tag=mncol;txt

Also you may want to try one of the line scans listed on this form (9th post):

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=238606&messageID=2432058&tag=forums06;forum-threads

That is the best that I can come up with.
manmur

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?