Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Slaughter Rule

Sometimes called a ?Mercy Rule?, but more commonly known as the ?Slaughter Rule?, is a practice used in the second half of Little League games to bring the game to an early end when one team has an insurmountable lead over the other team.

It is unfortunate that we don?t have a similar rule in place for political campaigns. In the instant situation, it could relieve the American public of the agony of another three months of a never ending political campaign that has gone on for a year and half..

At the moment, mid-July, it appears the next US Senate population will be 57 Dems and 43 Repubs. The US House will probably be 239 Dems and 196 Repubs, give a seat or two. ( http://www.electoral-vote.com/ )

As for the Presidential race, where public appearance is all important, John McCain is absolutely out-classed by the ?Stage Presence?; ?Eloquent Rhetorical Skills?, and a ?Take Charge Authority Figure? presented by Barack Obama. I see nothing changing here between now and November.

Someone, PLEASE, show mercy on the patience and tolerance of the American public, we have enough aggravation and stress in our daily lives already, PLEASE, show mercy and invoke a ?Slaughter Rule?.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slaughter Rule
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slaughter Rule
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chill...

In reply to: Slaughter Rule

A very bad idea. The race is far from decided. If you can't stand it, ignore it.

Collapse -
Don't fret !!!

There are enough people in America who think it's better NOT to have the same party in both branches. They will vote McCain in then.

Collapse -
I wonder where this idea came from...

In reply to: Don't fret !!!

Sounds like a demand to surrender. As Gen McAuliffe said...NUTS!

(maybe that's what Jesse was talkin' about)

Collapse -
Technical point....

Neither McCain nor Obama have their party's nominations yet. A lot can happen between now and then.

Collapse -
Hold up a minute......

I?m only saying to stop ?the campaign?. Let things simmer on the back burner until November.

In my travels I?m of the opinion that a few months ago, many of those who indicated a preference for McCain were doing so primarily to vote against Clinton. Today, those in favor of Obama are fervently in support of Obama. Too many others are leaning toward a no-vote for President, if they even vote al all.

A regrettable and disappointing turn of events, not only for this election, but possibly for, at least, the near future of this country.

Collapse -
I've got a secret ! The only place I see

In reply to: Hold up a minute......

........ any campaigning is especially on the 24/7 news channels, and to a lesser degree on the network news programs, network Sunday news shows, and PBS news shows.

There are other shows to watch!

By now I pretty much know the dialogue on a lot of Law and Orders.:-)

For me, the campaigns will start with the debates. The conventions used to be fun- real Americana. No more. TV ads are too frequent, too expensive, and could not pass a lie detector test.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I don't see it that way.

Probably depends on where one is standing. What people say in public social situations isn't what their heart votes in the privacy of the booth.

Collapse -
(NT) I'd prefer we call a misdeal and start over

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.