PC Hardware forum

General discussion

*Slams forehead against keyboard*

by strickjh2005 / March 27, 2006 10:48 PM PST

So I was playing with my Bios Rom and adding a custom pic of Jonna Dark leaning on a Perfect dark logo with some program called my pic. After I flashed the new bios, it was dead.

I thought, oh yeah, gotta reset the jp1 jumper to clear the bios settings so it will boot.

Well I did that and it still will not boot.

Then I though ooo yeah, I got that top hat thingy, so I can just pop that over my old bios and good as old. I can redo my bios after that and everything will be ok!

Well when I put the top hat chip on, I got long beeps over and over and since its award bios. THAT MEANS NOTHING!

So *** is a fella to do? FYI, its a $150 mobo. Replacement not really an option.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: *Slams forehead against keyboard*
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: *Slams forehead against keyboard*
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mr. bios or motherboard manufacturer
by ramarc / March 27, 2006 11:14 PM PST

www.mrbios.com sells bios and will cross-ship. your motherboard manufacturer may sell BIOS's also.

if you have a friend with the same motherboard, check the electronics parts supply stores in your area. they may be able to reprogram your chip from your friend's.

last ditch, very dangerous, not recommended option: if you've got a spare motherboard, you can boot it to DOS, pull that BIOS chip and replace it with yours while the PC is on, and try running the BIOS upgrade for your motherboard.

Collapse -
by Willy / March 28, 2006 1:33 AM PST

I've used this service from

and have done OK. Check it out and pricing is explained and alot less than new mtrbd. Also, I suggest and see if your system has a "boot strap" feature to possibility recover, check your mtrbd. CD and look for it or that topic.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I just contacted my mobo manufacturer to see what they...
by strickjh2005 / March 28, 2006 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Try...

can do. I am also looking into the possiblilty of flashing my top hat with an old component that it would fit over... hmmm...

buy buy buy huh? Well some people dint have money to waste. j/k

Collapse -
No short cuts...
by Willy / March 28, 2006 9:43 PM PST

If "top hat" means "hot flashing" placing one IC over another, then you're on your own. It may work it may not on its own merits. Further, having successfully done it, you still need *very similar* mtrbd. bios otherwise, features will get hosed or simply place a corrupted bios(to org. mtrbd.) from new source and get flaky even if boots-up which alone is good but not 100% as you may find out. If it gets this far, you can then try reflashing again to the corrupted bios from org. bios file to rebuild it to its "proper bios level" or any working revision now current.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by strickjh2005 / March 28, 2006 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: No short cuts...

What I meant was, to boot up a working motherboard. Then while the power was still on, add the tophat and use a program called winflash which flashes the rom while xp is running, to reflash the tophat.

Once that is completed I would then add the updated top hat to my broken bios mobo and try to boot.

But I dont have another mobo in the house with the tophat and XP...

So I was thinking of trying this with a component such as a LAN card or maybe a video card. Unforunatly this doesnt work since firmware updates are much simpler on thoose and only require a program to be run.

On the other hand it should be able to be done. I think a great project would be to try to figure out how to make one of these devices.

Later Willy.

Collapse -
by strickjh2005 / March 28, 2006 8:39 AM PST

Ok this top hat thing is interesting. Can I put this on another device that has one and do a flash of it?

Collapse -
I sent it to a small computer repair place.
by strickjh2005 / April 1, 2006 10:01 AM PST

Had a 20$ off cupon, if they fail then I will just RMA.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?