HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Skyfire 2.1 faster than Flash 10.1 on Android, 500,000 users

by quasar-atl / June 23, 2010 9:55 AM PDT

Dear Buzz Gang and Crew,
A browser for Android called Skyfire has made some interesting progress in recent weeks. This new browser is faster and more efficient in battery use on the Android phones than Adobe's Flash 10.1 implementation when it comes to video delivery. They way Skyfire does this is by converting Flash video into HTML5 video. Currently, Skyfire has some 500,000 Android users and growing quickly.

Hey Adobe, nice try....but how about trying that again?

Later people.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365601,00.asp
http://pocketnow.com/software-1/skyfire-21-for-android-now-available
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/23/skyfire.v21.browser.now.out.for.android.devices/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Skyfire 2.1 faster than Flash 10.1 on Android, 500,000 users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Skyfire 2.1 faster than Flash 10.1 on Android, 500,000 users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yea except that it doesnt work...
by robstak / June 23, 2010 11:44 AM PDT

lol. i tried it and its nice. certainly the button that fools websites into thinking you are on a desktop is INVALUABLE, however, it didn't display all the flash content i wanted it to.

most notably, Hulu is blocked. now, hulu SPECIFICALLY BLOCKED skyfire, so its technically possible, but its blocked right now.

also, i tried to stream bol over skyfire also with no luck...

ill keep playing with it, but without hulu, the default android browser handles flash prettyy well even with flash light...

Collapse -
The Hulu problem should be easy...
by Slikkster / June 24, 2010 10:35 PM PDT

I've already seen browsers that let you assign the "User Agent" to fool Hulu, et. al., into thinking that you're surfing from a "Desktop". Shouldn't be hard to implement.

Collapse -
yea skyfire does this, but its STILL blocked...
by robstak / June 26, 2010 9:08 AM PDT

i dunno they can still identify what browser you are on maybe? if they could just fool hulu about that too then youd be fine...

Collapse -
re
by Aggie20x / July 4, 2010 8:08 PM PDT

Unfortunately, sites like Hulu can also identify the version of Flash you're using, and on what platform. There's an indicator in the Android version of Flash that allows Hulu to block access; some guys over at XDA have found a way around it, but it's a long way from practical.

Collapse -
(NT) oh ok! sweet, thanks!
by robstak / July 6, 2010 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: re
Collapse -
Thanks
by patka4466 / July 11, 2010 11:55 PM PDT

Thanks for the review. It sure help me a lot! Happy

Collapse -
Thanks
by vuewise1 / July 26, 2010 3:10 PM PDT

Thanks for the post. I tried it. It is good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.