Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

sizing problem

by shift / September 17, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

I can not get my "Tv on Net" and games that I play online to expand to a larger size. when these pages come up and I go to the lower right hand corner to pull then down to increase in size but it won't do anything. In the upper right hand corner I only have a minus and X. No box to click to make larger. My opening web pages are alright it just affects programs that run off of theses pages. I am running XP Home and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Hope someone can help!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
By Design
by cnutter_the_2nd / September 17, 2005 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: sizing problem

It's possible to create a new window that cannot be resized, and often this is done intentionally on the part of the developers. Technically there are user interface guidelines that tend to dictate when such a thing is acceptable, but there's no enforcement of those things. Any schmuck with a few rudimentary JavaScript skills can do it.

May as well get used to it, because there's nothing you can do about it.

Collapse -
Try lowering your screen resolution
by El Alquimista / September 17, 2005 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: By Design

As cnutter(2) said, some windows are of fixed size, this being specified by the number of pixels. If, for example, a window is specified as 780 by 580 pixels, and your resolution is set to 1280 by 1024, the window will cover only about 35% of the screen. Changing resolution to 1024 by 768, the window will cover about 60% of the screen, and at a resolution of 800 by 600, window will be almost full screen.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
It is not a resolution problem
by shift / September 17, 2005 10:27 PM PDT

It is not a resolution problem,This has nothing to do with main web pages or programs. It is to do with pages that I try to optain such as when I play a game on Pogo. The Home Page is alright. After I pick my game it goes to a page to pick what room. That page is alright. The next page is the downloading the game(alright) and then the next page is the game. That is where the problem lies. I used to be able to make this page larger but can not do it now. This problem also affects my "TV On My PC" Too.

Collapse -
If it worked before,
by El Alquimista / September 18, 2005 7:43 AM PDT

then use System Restore to take your system back to an earlier time when it worked OK.

Otherwise, you can enlarge the small window by changing the resolution as I suggested. If you then need to increase the resolution again for your ''normal'' windows, so be it. I know, it would be a pain toggling between two resolutions. It would be your choice as to whether the increase in size is worth the trouble.

Frank

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!