Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Size or Portability?

by chillout_force / November 21, 2006 3:46 PM PST

Hi. I am buying a new computer this coming Dec.
With a budger of $3500
What would you prefer?

A: 24" iMac (Upgraded)
-2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
-2 GB Ram
-750 GB Hard Disk
-NVIDIA GeForce 7600
-And "Apple Support Plan"
The upgrade version of the iMac would cost me close to $3400

B: 17" MacBook PRO (Few Upgrades)
-200 GB Hard Drive
-And "Apple Support Plan"
This will cost me $3400

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Size or Portability?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Size or Portability?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mac Pro
by shahrokhan / November 21, 2006 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: Size or Portability?

At that high end range, I would suggest going for a Mac Pro and 30" HD Display.
It all depends on what you want your computer to do. If you want a powerful computer on the go, then the Macbook Pro is excellent. If you want a normal all in one basic home computer then a iMac is good. If you dont mind taking up spae and want an upgradeable, and high end computer then the Mac Pro. If you dont mind not having Mac ten at that price range, you could get a very high end PC.
What computer you choose also depends upon what you are going to do with your computer. If you are a gamer then you need a really good graphic card which only the Mac Pro offers and PCs. If you want a powerful jack of all trades computer then I would say that you go for a Mac Pro.
I will tell you more and possibly exactly what you should go for if you tell me more about what you need from your computer.

Collapse -
Re: Mac Pro
by chillout_force / November 22, 2006 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Mac Pro

What would you recommend me if I go for Windows Desktop? (Hardware Specs)

Collapse -
The answer depends on
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Size or Portability?

what it is that you plan to use your new machine for.

Glancing at the Store I see that you have added almost every possible upgrade to the iMac. While I agree that it is some tricked out machine, I cannot help wondering if all the extra's are actually necessary for the tasks that you intend to use the machine for.

The MacBookPro is a real workhorse but once again it really depends on what you are thinking of doing with this machine. Do you need portability. If the answer is Yes, then the iMac is out the window and the laptops become important.
Do you intend to travel with the 17" laptop? Unless you travel in the Business section of the aircraft you will yourself severely cramped when trying to use it.

The suggestion of a Mac Pro and a 30" display is not really viable as the lowest price for one of those is $2499 and $1999 respectively. The puts you over budget before you even start. Remember that the Mac Pro does NOT come with any of the wonderful iLife programs that are found on the rest of Apple's machines.

Just for fits, grins and giggles, just took a look at the Apple Store and spent your $3500. I go myself a MacBook Pro AND a 20" iMac. Granted they were not all tricked out like yours but still capable of doing everything that I want to do.

I guess I should mention that if $3500 is your entire budget, then you may want to sit back and calculate the Sales Tax on these machines. Unless you live in a State that does not have Sales Tax, Apple will add it to your bill. Tax on $3500 is going to do a number on your budget. Happy

Bottom line: Decide what it is that you want to do with the machine, and where, and then come back. You will get much better advice at that point.

P

Collapse -
Mac Pro will cost me $4500 (No Upgrades) T_T
by chillout_force / November 22, 2006 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: The answer depends on

1st of all, thanks for the advice here.
The reason why I am buying a Mac is, It can run 2 OS in 1 computer. Plus, with all the advertisement about the Mac makes me want to buy one.
2nd. I am using the Mac for video conversion, music edit, and short movie clip edit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.