Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Size of windows

by ultralight / October 25, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

We took our computer in and had them mirror our hard drive to a larger one. It went pretty good, but for one thing I notice now.

When I got the computer home the first thing I noticed was that everything looked bigger. The icons on the desktop, the information on all the web pages. I thought that everything had been changed to large fonts. So the only place I could think of to go was, click on blank space on desktop - open properties - click on Appearance - and look at the font size. It is set at Normal.

Is there another place that I should be looking?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Size of windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Size of windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Changing The Screen Resolution..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 25, 2008 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Size of windows

Unfortunately, you don't tell us the type of computer you're using (laptop, desktop, or the size of the monitor), or the operating system, but try the steps below. Letting us know the size of the monitor screen would help us identify the specific screen resolution needed.:

RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties", then click on the "Settings' tab. When that loads, select a screen resolution which has a "larger" number.. Then click on "apply", then OK.

A screen resolution with a higher/larger number will cause the icons to be smaller and the screen to include my text/items from webpages.

Hope this helps.....

Grif

Collapse -
Screen resolution
by ultralight / October 30, 2008 5:32 AM PDT

Thanks I'll try that, I just change it until I find one that works?

I have a 17 in monitor, Window XP Home edition 2002 SP3 CPU 2.40 512MB of Ram IE7 Hard Drive 80 highspeed AVG8

Collapse -
For a 17" Standard Monitor..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen resolution

You'll want to try 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.. If you're using a 17" widescreen, then try something like 1280 x 1024 or 1440 x 900.

If those resolutions aren't available, then you may need to hunt down the newest graphics driver for your system.

Hope this helps....

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?