Computer Help forum

General discussion

Size of web sites

by fritz123 / October 29, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

I have looked and can't find anything concerning this. I am sure there is something somewhere but decided to ask again.
I have been having trouble with my computer for 1 month. Couldnot get on line. But that is another issue.
Now every web site i pull up is soooo large that i can not read the whole page without moving the bar. The games i play are so large that they don't fit the screen. I have tryed everything i now about but still the same thing. Do you have any suggestions or questions?
Please help
Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Size of web sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Size of web sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
soooo large questions
by linkit / October 29, 2005 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Size of web sites

What operating system?
What computer model? (ex. Dell Dimension 8300)
What monitor size and type? (ex. 15" LCD or 17" CRT)
What display resolution? (ex. 1024 X 768)

Collapse -
by fritz123 / October 29, 2005 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: soooo large questions

Operating system? ME
Computer Model? Genuinetntel Inter(R) Celeron(TM)CPU 248.OMB RAM
Monitor Size? ViewSonic G773 17"
Display Resolution? 640 by 480 pixels*(when i change it to anything else all words on the screen wiggle or shake.
Hope this info helps
Thank you

Collapse -
Fritz, On Websites, Have You ??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 29, 2005 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Size of web sites

If using Internet Explorer, click on "View" in the upper left, choose "Text Size", then select a smaller size.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Size still large
by fritz123 / October 29, 2005 8:11 PM PDT

Thank you but i am at the smallest and that does not help. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
try this instead
by TONI H / October 29, 2005 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Size still large

not sure if it will help with the size of games graphics, but it should work on the text...

Hold down the CTRL key and either move your mouse wheel a notch or two or if you have no wheel use the + and/or - keys while holding down the CTRL key instead.

Now...if the graphics is still way too large, you might have to right click your desktop, choose Properties, Settings and change your resolution to higher than 640/480 or whatever it might be right now. If you aren't able to change that, you probably need to reinstall your video card drivers or download newer ones for it.

Collapse -
by fritz123 / October 29, 2005 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: try this instead

Thank you for your fast response
Nothing happened when i held down the CTRL ke.
When i go higher than 640 by 480 all the words on the screen wiggle and shake.
how do i go about reinstalling video card or downloading. I not very computer smart.
Thank you for your suggestions

Collapse -
You have to
by TONI H / October 29, 2005 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: How

move the mouse wheel or click the plus/minus keys at the same time that you are holding down the CTRL key in order for those tips to work.

If you go to and either let them do an online scan (free and not intrusive) it will deliver a screen that shows all of the hardware installed on your computer by mfr and model numbers (as well as software and code/registration keys for it). Once you have that file/window showing up, either save it to your desktop for future reference or print it. It's very handy for being able to know what drivers you need so once you see the Display item listed, let us know what it is so we can help you get to the right drivers.

Collapse -
by fritz123 / October 30, 2005 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: You have to

Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
ViewSonic G773 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, July 1998)
This is what i found is this useful?
Thank you

Collapse -
(NT) Problem is not solved
by fritz123 / November 2, 2005 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: Driver

I received an e-mail that this issue was closed.
I still have not fixed my problem. I sent what was ask for but no response.
Please help
Thank you

Collapse -
by xerpor / November 4, 2005 8:34 PM PST
In reply to: Driver

This is the part of the Belarc report that tells what kind of video card you have.

With that info and Google you should be able to find the newest drivers. Post the specs on the card in the forum if you wish and we will help you find the drivers.

Collapse -
by fritz123 / November 5, 2005 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Display

NVIDIA GeForce Fx 5200 (display adapter)
ViewSonic P815-4 (Monitor)
(19.7" vis, s/n QO94816375, November 1999)
This is what it said.
Can you help?
thank you

Collapse -
Looks exactly like mine......?
by xerpor / November 5, 2005 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: display

First try this. Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Display adapters, double click NVIDIA GeForce and open Driver tab. At the botton of that page click Update Driver. See what Windows finds for you.

Here is a screen shot of the steps

As you can see my drivers are dated 5/2/2003 and they are working fine. Course you have different hardware and it may need more up to date drivers. There are many places to download drivers for the FX 5200 on the net like here:

however I would suggest you get advice specific for your set up at the NVIDIA Drivers Forum.

Collapse -
Viewsonic G773
by The Fly / November 2, 2005 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: How

According to the specs. the optimal resolution is 1024 X 768 @ 87Hz. Right click on the desktop, left click on Properties, Left click on the Settings tab, change the resolution to 1024 X 768 and then left click on the Advanced button and set the refresh rate to 87 Hz. Left click on Apply and accept the setting. See if it is still shaky.

I don't think you said, but I am assuming you are using a PC and not MAC. I do not have a Viewsonic so the exact paths may differ somewhat to the above instructions.

Collapse -
Still a problem
by fritz123 / November 4, 2005 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Viewsonic G773

I thank you, but i changed what you suggested and still nothing. Could I need to update my video driver and if so where can i do that?
Thank you I try all suggestions.
Yes i am using a PC

Collapse -
Re your video problem
by El Alquimista / November 5, 2005 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Still a problem

You will not reduce the size of the screen display until you increase the resolution. Since all the ''soft'' fixes have failed (except that you apparently have not yet tried new drivers), you should consider the possibility of a hardware problem. I have had shaky screens when the monitor was going bad and when a cable connector was not making good contact; I would imagine a failing video card could also cause such symptoms.

The first thing I would do is shut down and then unplug and replug the monitor cable three or four times; this should wear off any oxidation on the pins/contacts and improve the connections.

If the problem continues, could you borrow a friend?s monitor for a trial? If another monitor works OK, then yours needs repair ? but today the repair might cost about as much as a new monitor. If the problem remains on the substitute monitor, the video card or its driver should be suspected. Did you not get a CD with your system containing copies of all necessary drivers? You could reload the video driver from there. If you do not have such a disk, you must get the video driver from the Web.

You never told the manufacturer of your system; however, both the IDE and video controllers are VIA, which are used on several lesser-known motherboards. Strange, but I could find nothing regarding the VT8306/VT8601 chips on the VIA site; however I did find the drivers available for those chips on some motherboard sites: for Msi mobos, for ECS mobos, and for Biostar mobos. Belarc should have told you the name of your mobo, but you did not pass it on. Take a look at that and go to that site for the driver.

Another site, also has the drivers, but not tied to any specific mobo. You could try it if you can't find the mobo site.

If you reload the driver and the problem persists, it probably is a hardware problem with the video chips, which are most likely integrated on the mobo. You then really have a problem as that cannot be easily repaired.

BTW, in one post you said you got an e-mail saying the issue was closed, but I did not notice anything about this in an earlier post. Who sent the message, and what triggered it?

Hope this helps

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?