Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sixes keep appearing when I try to type using my keyboard

by gem2001 / July 27, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

I'm a novice computer user with the following problem: lately when I try to type characters into a blank field, i.e. browser search field, or this XP Forum message editor, the letter "6" appears and keeps appearing without me doing anything, creating a long string of sixes. I also hear a "ding" sound sometimes when the sixes starting pro-creating. Has anyone seen this problem or know what to do? I'm running WindowsXP on a Compaq Presario 2500, Cosmi firewall.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sixes keep appearing when I try to type using my keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sixes keep appearing when I try to type using my keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd start with ...
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2007 5:38 AM PDT

trying another keyboard.

Does it only happen in browser windows? If so, what browser are you using? Or does it also happen in, say, Notepad, Wordpad and the command window?

Kees

Collapse -
It's common...
by jackintucson / July 27, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

enough. Your "6" key is jammed. The "ding" is the keyboard buffer filling up. Try smacking the key a few times but not hard enough to shatter the keyboard ;). If that doesn't work.. hold the keyboard on its edge and tap it on something hard. Again not hard enough to send pieces across the floor ;). Some keyboards allow for the key to be removed by gently pull up on the key. Also, a can of compressed air can be used to blow dirt and bugs out from under the key.

Remember this tho, there is a verrrrrry thin sheet of contact material under the keys. Damaging that would require a new keyboard. In any case, if none of the above works, a new keyboard is warranted. Good Luck Happy

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
New program?
by RCF_Rose / March 4, 2012 11:21 AM PST

Have you installed a new program just before this problem started? Or have you installed a new security program from your bank or ISP?

Rose

Collapse -
Nope, Old Thread... FIVE Years Old
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: New program?

And the original poster hasn't posted in these forums since then.. I'll guess the problems solved.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Is this a Laptop? (NT)
by ramusson / March 4, 2012 2:37 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?