Desktops forum

General discussion

Sir Speedy: Which is Better - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium 4

by btbergman / October 16, 2006 6:43 PM PDT

Given the choice any idea which chip set would be faster / better on an identical computer?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor 4200+ (2.2GHz)

OR

Intel Pentium 4 processor 640 with HT Technology (3.2GHz)

The platform would be a HP Desktop (a1340n or a1350n) with:
1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
250GB 7200 rpm hard drive
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics with up to 256MB shared video memory
Windows XP Media Center

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sir Speedy: Which is Better - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium 4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sir Speedy: Which is Better - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium 4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is this what you have or proposing to buy ?
by VAPCMD / October 17, 2006 12:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Proposing to buy
by btbergman / October 17, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

This would be a new system, actually a reconditioned system from HP costing $500. I currently have a Dell Optiplex GX1.

Collapse -
x2 is faster
by ramarc / October 17, 2006 1:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
OUTDATED
by Scrotes4Life / October 18, 2006 2:52 PM PDT

I have a 640 P4. It's a great CPU. I just built an E6300 system. It's better. P4 is not going to be around before too long. Get or build a C2D system.

Collapse -
The Shared Memory Integrated Graphics Will be the Bottleneck
by lbereny / October 22, 2006 8:40 AM PDT

I would also think you'll be the happiest with the Athlon 64 x2 - much newer architecture -- but the video will in the end make the biggest difference.

The P4 with a hot video card will run circles around a mobo using integrated video with shared memory even an x2

Actually a P4 with almost any video card.....

Get the 64 x2 and start saving for a good card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.