Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

single user, dual user files created

by Swampgal / December 5, 2011 1:51 AM PST

Lately learned my husband's name is on files I've created but he's never used my computer. Found this when I ran a virus program. Had viruses removed years ago, his name on as Guest at the time..is this the problem ? How do I eliminate duplicate files without losing mine?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: single user, dual user files created
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: single user, dual user files created
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Are they all Guest files then?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 1:54 AM PST

If he has a Guest account in his own name, are these files in his Documents and Settings > {HisGuestAccoutName} folders?

Mark

Collapse -
single user, dual user files
by Swampgal / December 7, 2011 1:29 AM PST

There is no name in the Guest account. I saw his name in Documents and Settings only when I ran a virus program. The only time his name was in the Guest account was before my computer had viruses removed by a technician and his name was not there when I got my computer back.
Dell Dimension 2400 Series home computer Windows XP

Collapse -
Answer
Re: files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 2:00 AM PST

- What do you mean with "his name is on files"?
- What does the virus program (what's that?) have to do with that (I don't assume your husband put a virus on your PC and left his name inside it for you to discover)?
- What do you mean with "his name on as Guest"? The guest account of Windows is a special account that doesn't have a specific name like John or William, it's just Guest.
- What do you mean with "duplicate files"? No mention until that of any duplicates.
- Why do you think that removing a file (his?) would delete another file (yours)?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
by Swampgal / December 7, 2011 1:38 AM PST

1. His name was noticed when I ran a virus program. All the files scanned had his name on them....
2. Not blaming a virus program for anything...and NO...hubby is not a nasty person and cannot even turn the computer on much less install a virus program.....what has this to do with you understanding my problem ????
3. The Guest button under Users had his name noted before I had my viruses removed and was no longer there afterward....but all the files I've created since then have his name on them.
4. I did mention how to remove duplicate files without losing mine. Sorry, I'm not savvy enough I guess to explain myself. I meant...if his files are duplicates of the ones I created...thinking my name is on the ones I created....if I delete those with his name on them, even though he is not a user...will the ones I created be lost also ? As to question #5 : I can only say I must be more stupid than I give myself credit ....sorry but I am NOT COMPUTER SAVVY....I just need help...cannot afford to pay someone right now....am old and on retirement. Can you help me ?

Collapse -
Re: files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 3:19 AM PST

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with "all the files scanned had his name on them".
Let me take an example of a file that certainly will be scanned: "c:\windows\notepad.exe". That doesn't contain my name.

Sorry, I don't understand either what you mean with "The Guest button under Users had his name noted".
The Guest button on the welcome screen on my PC only mentions "Guest", not my name.

So the best thing to do seems to find some local help, that can actually SEE the PC. Don't you have family or friends or neighbours with a little bit more knowledge of Windows than you have?

Kees

Collapse -
single user, dual user files created
by Swampgal / December 7, 2011 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: files

Ok. In Control Panel....User Accounts....Guest. I had put his name on the Guest account way way back but he never touched the computer. Months later I had to take the computer in for a virus removal. When I started it up at home the Paint program opened....they said the viruses had been placed there for me to see....had no idea what Paint was nor how to delete the viruses.....so on an so on.
Not being computer savy I lately felt I had another virus so I ran a virus scan. The scan went through showing the documents being scanned and my name was on all of them. As it continued to scan I noticed my hubby's name on the same documents I had created and named. So, I went back to Control Panel, etc. and saw that my hubby's name was no longer present....it just showed Guest...his name was not there.
My question: can I safely remove the documents with his name on them without losing those with my name on them that I had created ? If so, then how do I locate "his" documents. He is not listed anywhere I can find as a "user". On the scan I saw part of what you posted in your reply but the actual name I had given the files was also there....ie: new CMS regs for field nurses......Medicare Funding for "X"....etc., including all the other files/documents I had created.
I thank you for trying to help me but I guess I'm going to have to get the money together to take it to someone again. The only family I have is a son living several states away from here.....friends all work fulltime and have families....and Christmas is a busy season for them. I appreciate the time you have given me, anyway.

Collapse -
Before you go to deleting files ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 7, 2011 7:48 AM PST

answer a couple of questions. You keep talking about "his name is on files I've created" and "his name on as Guest at the time" and "... I ran a virus program. All the files scanned had his name on them"

First question: Did you or he at some point in time RENAME your or another user account?

Second question: Where EXACTLY are these files located?

Try the following to provide us some information.

Click Start then Run and type CMD and click OK to open a command prompt.

Now type CD \ and press the enter / return key (the prompt should now read C:\> )

Type CD "Documents and settings" and press the enter / return key (be sure you include the quotes and spaces and your prompt should now read C:\Documents and Settings>

At this point type DIR and again press the enter / return key (you should now be showing a list of directories probably in alphabetical order starting with Administrator then All users then specific user names.

Tell us if YOUR user name shows up or if his names shows up.

Collapse -
by Swampgal / December 8, 2011 1:15 AM PST

As to your instructions (very easy to understand, thank you !) I think I've done this in a different way but I wound up where you wanted me to go....see response to question #2 below.
First question: I have never renamed mine or any other user account...wouldn't dare try this. I put the receipt I had from when I had the viruses removed but, as usual, a gremlin has put it somewhere and doesn't want me to find it right now so it is possible they had done this for some reason...the date might correspond with some "modifications" I've noted below.
Second question: Got curious, went to "My Computer" ....."Local Disc (C:)"..... "Documents and Settings" and opened the folder "All Users".
Inside this folder are "Shared Documents" containing lots of empy folders, multiple shared music, video, etc (some empty), etc. A couple were "modified" two or more years before they were "created" if that makes any sense.....some modified recently or a year or so ago....don't know why....Some folders are present but the yellow color is "faded", properties "says" there are so many bytes but they are empty or they have files in them....
I also opened the folder with my husband's name on it....I did not create this folder...not sure when it was created since I don't have the virus removal receipt handy. Lots of documents there that I recall creating myself but his name was in "Properties" as being created by him....I had transferred all these to floppy discs and deleted them from the computer (I thought) well over a year ago....so don't know why they weren't deleted.
Two more folders in "All User" are named "Default User" and "Owner"...have not yet gone into these due to lack of time. Most likely will contain the same thing I've already found.
Don't understand how a computer puts a person's file under another person's name. The ones I am now creating are being checked to make sure MY NAME is on ALL of them. However, many files I created long ago and transferred to a CD or Floppy are not "mine" any longer. Have to go back to ensure I still have these on a CD or Floppy before I delete them or do whatever I have to do. Busy work...and thank you for replying.

Collapse -
Thank you for the feedback ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 8, 2011 5:54 AM PST

and here is the explanation.

You provided this information:

Inside this folder are "Shared Documents" containing lots of empy folders, multiple shared music, video, etc (some empty), etc. A couple were "modified" two or more years before they were "created" if that makes any sense.....some modified recently or a year or so ago....don't know why....Some folders are present but the yellow color is "faded", properties "says" there are so many bytes but they are empty or they have files in them....

I also opened the folder with my husband's name on it....I did not create this folder...not sure when it was created since I don't have the virus removal receipt handy. Lots of documents there that I recall creating myself but his name was in "Properties" as being created by him....I had transferred all these to floppy discs and deleted them from the computer (I thought) well over a year ago....so don't know why they weren't deleted.

The evidence you just provided indicates that at some point that computer had your husband's account on it and that account was renamed to the one you are using. You see your name (or user name) when you log in but when an account is renamed the actual documents and settings accounts are NOT renamed - they remain as they were when the account was created. (Notice that you did not see an account with your name in the DIR listing I had you do).

The folders that "are present but the yellow color is faded" are read only and hidden directories (folders) and probably are named Application Data, DRM, Templates, and in other user accounts may include Sent To, and Local Settings, and PrintHood, and NetHood etc.

Shared Documents (or music, pictures, etc.) are files that are accessible to all users (thus being located in the All Users account which is incorporated into each individual user account settings) and may be physically present in that location or only a link to the actual file in another location depending on how the file was saved and got to the shared location in the first place. As a "for instance", if you look at the Sample Pictures folder in the All Users account you will see each picture but if you look at the same folder in another user account such as Administrator you will only see a link back to the All Users sample pictures.

As for the creation/modification dates what you describe is normal in Windows as the following from my own computer shows and I used to know why but it wasn't important so I quit worrying about it many years ago.
Created: Sunday, 03 February, 2008, 16:50:06
Modified: Wednesday, 04 August, 2004, 07:00:00
Accessed: Today, 08 December, 2011, 16:35:03

That might be a little difficult to understand but just to keep it simple, if the files are showing up in the All Users or Default Users or Administrator, or local Service or Network Service accounts just leave them alone - they are hurting nothing and their removal could cause problems that at first blush were apparently unrelated .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.