The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Singapore teen gets 18-month internet ban for WiFi stealing!

Singapore teen dealt 18-month probation, internet ban for WiFi stealing

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/17/singapore-teen-dealt-18-month-probation-internet-ban-for-wifi-s/

Article excerpt:
Proclaimed as the first victim of Singapore's newly-enforced Computer Misuse Act, the 17-year old Garyl Tan Jia Luo picked up 18 months of probation (some of which will be at home) instead of jail time, but what's potentially worse is the fact that he is not allowed to access the internet during his stint. Apparently, the judge felt this was the best way to break him of his internet addiction, and also recommended that the kiddo receive treatment for his online gaming obsession.

Wow... this I wonder if "rehab" clinic will be going up all over the world for things like this. I know there's already some "gamers rehab" in Europe, I think.

Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Singapore teen gets 18-month internet ban for WiFi stealing!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Singapore teen gets 18-month internet ban for WiFi stealing!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i would DIE w/o the internet

In reply to: Singapore teen gets 18-month internet ban for WiFi stealing!

ooh...18 months? i don't have a gaming addiction, but i love to be kept updated on what's going on in the world and a constant connection to others over the internet...18 months...

if my ISP goes down for 1 day, i would run to my neighbour's and ask to use their internet, even for a second Happy (hoping that a page loads faster than a second)

Collapse -
Ouch!

No e-mail, no net, no online play.

Probably will have to use an old skool phone with out net connectivity.

Reminds me of stories of the late 80's where a tag artist (graffiti) was nabbed by the cops and the sentencing was: he was not allowed to carry any form of writing implement for 1 year, not even a pen or pencil.

Collapse -
VOiP

I wonder if the kid has a VOiP phone.
Then, he wouldn't be allowed to make phone calls using his VOiP service, and be forced to use a mobile or landline phone(plus line rental).

Countersue!

Collapse -
Actually, I really wonder if...

Actually?I really wonder if after 18months of internet-isolation the kid will be enlightened and right an online book revealing the great truths of reality?we could all use a little reality Happy

Collapse -
correction : "write", not 'right'

In reply to: Actually, I really wonder if...

lol, like tom and molly do on BOL Silly except with spelling Happy

Collapse -
(NT) true - twenty dictionary pushups for me! :)

In reply to: correction : "write", not 'right'

Collapse -
(NT) heh, that's pretty funny

Collapse -
How is this going to be enforced?

I think with the proliferation of internet literally all over Singapore (WiMAX in 2007 I believe was the aim) couldn't he just borrow a friend's laptop and put on some shades while chilling in the park?

I lived in Singapore, and more realistically, he is probably being monitored all the time now. Beautiful place, but sinister - it is an example of that dreaded horror: a functioning dictatorship.

Collapse -
glad a former resident chimed in..

In reply to: How is this going to be enforced?

yeah, I have no idea how this is to be enforced.

It is interesting how many Americans I've met have lived in Singapore and love it there and rather not move back even though it is a functioning dictatorship. hmm...I'd really like to visit sometime...

Collapse -
heard stories

In reply to: How is this going to be enforced?

i have two friends from singapore and they tell me they had a pretty good time growing up there except for the relatively strict entertainment censors (which makes them import a lot of stuff like movies and games). i guess if the climate was cooler and dryer, i would love to visit there.

but yea, they got some tough laws there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.