Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Since upgrading to Vista, Palm Desktop hangs

by GusGusGus / May 3, 2007 12:10 PM PDT

I can't seem to launch Palm Desktop since I upgraded to Vista. The launch screen just stays glued on the PC desktop and I have to go to TaskMgr to close it down. I've also downloaded and reinstalled the latest version.
Has anyone else out there had this problem since moving to Vista...and if so, any suggestions on how to fix this!?

Cheers,

Gus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Since upgrading to Vista, Palm Desktop hangs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Since upgrading to Vista, Palm Desktop hangs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The last time I looked at PalmOne.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 10:20 PM PDT

Vista was not a supported OS.

Dang.

Bob

Collapse -
Ouch
by GusGusGus / May 6, 2007 10:10 PM PDT

Looks like all my data is now locked up, as my Palm device stopped working last year and was relying on the Palm Desktop!

G

Collapse -
I wouldn't worry too much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Ouch

Some 6,000 pound gorilla from Redmond will force this to get fixed soon. Hang in there or go get the free Virtual PC from MS for now.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem Vista doesn't run Palm Desktop
by EtherBunny / May 7, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

Bought a new computer. Has Vista Premium Home Version.
Perhaps more stable than XP, but mainly a pain in the neck.

Installed Palm Desktop.
At first was fine, but now just hangs at Splash Screen.
Tried various fixes, without solution.

Palm tungsten E2 syncs with my laptop (XP)

Collapse -
Possible Fix
by EtherBunny / May 7, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

I think I fixed my Vista problem.
I uninstalled Palm Desktop, then downloaded latest version of Palm software. (Win414e)
The file runs with a setup.exe file.
Before I ran the setup file I changed the property
to be compatible with WinXP SP2
then I loaded Palm Desktop.
Desktop now runs. Although my Palm crashes after every hotsync.
That may be a separate problem, and is just a nuisance at this point.

Collapse -
Thanks - works!
by GusGusGus / May 7, 2007 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible Fix

Thanks Etherbunny - did as you outlined and now have Palm Desktop up and running.

Gus

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?