Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Since this concept is already proven to work so well

I think it's time that young folks be taught to properly handle other dangerous things such as guns, explosives, pyrotechnics, etc. while in high school. They should be taught proper manufacture and use of explosive and incendiary devices. They should all be taught to load, handle and fire a varity of weapons such as they might encounter in daily life. They should be taught where to buy the safest explosives and other materials used for road building, proper demolitions, etc. In this way, they will learn proper respect for such deadly items as well as satisfy their natural curiosity about them. Isn't it better to do this before they are old enough to actually be able to legally procure and misuse them? We already know how well this early learning concept has worked by changing high school "Health and Hygiene" into Sex Education classes.Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Since this concept is already proven to work so well
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Since this concept is already proven to work so well
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your facetiousness is noted........

In reply to: Since this concept is already proven to work so well

However, when my daughter was very young, I made it a point to make her familiar with the guns I kept in my gun cabinet. I allowed her pull the trigger and she was shown the proper way to handle a hand gun and rifle, loaded or unloaded. I also took her shooting several times and she learned respect for guns. She learned that guns are not play toys and that no one was to go near my gun cabinet. She also learned that while at another?s house to never be a part of experimenting or playing with guns. I always felt comfortable about the fact that she knew how dangerous guns are and that if some kid happened to bring one out she knew to make tracks in the opposite direction.

Education is one of the most important gifts we have to offer young people. I intend on teaching my grandson about guns just as I taught my daughter. He already plays a mean harmonica for a three year old. Many kids like to touch and experiment with things they are not familiar with. Hopefully, the experimenting phase will not be an issue when it comes to guns.

Collapse -
I was expecting this and here's your answer

In reply to: Your facetiousness is noted........

My message had absolutely nothing to do with what was being taught but who was teaching it and where it was being taught. I will always say that home or place of parental choice is best. Hope that quells the steaming I sense.Wink

Collapse -
A different perspective on what I read......

In reply to: I was expecting this and here's your answer

I thought what you were saying was that sex education has been such a failure and so futile to teach, that you were comparing teaching about guns and explosives as a way of saying that it was a dangerous way to go about teaching our children. I guess I was wrongHappy Not the first timeHappy

Collapse -
Not at all

In reply to: A different perspective on what I read......

Failure in the schools....yes. Some parents may feel relieved by not having to deal with this difficult and sensitive duty but some might feel their own authority is being usurped or undermined. This is an old subject that's been kicked about and was brought to my mind by some recent local news events in my own town. I'll be the last to blame schools for failure to teach properly a subject that I feel should not be their responsibility. The examples I used (guns, explosives) for comparison were ones that have an element of danger but have their proper place in the hands of those whose maturity can control their curiosity or feeling of being indestructable and can accept the lessons presented by their mentors. But, at least with Sex Ed, the material is presented at or even before the curiosity stage rather than at proper maturity when the material can be understood and properly absorbed. Sorry but I can offer only observations but not solutions. I'm just saddened by some recent stories and looking for what went wrong....but I think I already know.Sad

Collapse -
You were looking for.......

In reply to: I was expecting this and here's your answer

steam, but you found no steam here. I simply stated the way I chose handle certain issues with my daughter and I could care less what others think. Happy You're right about teachings start at home, too.

Collapse -
I raised my Child like my Father

In reply to: Your facetiousness is noted........

raised me. The first gun was a gun capable of killing (a shotgun) because that is what guns are for, not for playing killing.

I hate the whole idea of a toy gun or BB-gun or pellet rifle because they allow a child to 'play guns' and decide how a gun should be used during play, who to kill, who to point it at, etc.

Parents don't teach play guns because they are just toys, the transition to real guns is quite simple. If you start a child at the proper age with a real gun and supervise it like you wouldn't a toy, you'd be better off.

Collapse -
well as i tought both my boys

gun saftey and gun control they both hit what they aim at.
and know guns arent toys.
and with proper usage keeps the criminal kind down

Collapse -
Please read my reply to mojo

In reply to: well as i tought both my boys

It's not what's taught but where and by whom....and home is the right place.Happy

Collapse -
i was

In reply to: Please read my reply to mojo

tought in military then i tought my boys

Collapse -
If these students had such great

sex education training in school, why are we seeing so many accidental pregnancies? It seems like these weapons are going off all over the place and in all directions. Happy Gun control would be nice but it's too moral for most of our society.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.