General discussion

Since I have bored you with the stories of our move back

from Britain resulting in the loss of half my jazz collection, M-Z That's Mingus, Monk, Rollins, Frankie Trumbauer, Horace Parlan, Lee Morgan, etc, etc. But the heart of the loss was a 20 disc series of EMI Pathe Marconi releases called Djangologie. I bought these one at a time in 1970 or so, at $15.00 US or more, one of them was nearly $22.00. Well, I am delivered. The whole shootin' match has just been re-released on CD, and at the pocket friendly price of %63.99 or $3.20 a disc. And since I've been trying to replace these recordings for decades and have bought just about everything available, these recordings sound much better. I think it was the original care and noise reduction techniques used when they re-recorded the original 78's.
What's more, I ordered them from Amazon.com (they weren't listed on Amazon.ca) and received a "We'll let you know when they're available notice" followed the next day by "We have just shipped" to a little delivery notice on my door on Friday.

Am I happy? Can't you hear the tappin' of my little tappety toes?

If I want to drop even more money, there's a 3 volume 42 CD Integrale (meaning complete) set for $83.00 each. All included that's very little more, well 20% more than I paid in 1970 dollars for every record he ever played on. The downside is that he played on a lot of French Bal Musette recordings (that's classic accordion dance music for the cafes and Balles Musettes or dance parlours.

Anyway, any Djangistes out there, run do not walk to Amazon.com and order this glorious piece of music history. If anyone wants additional reccommendations including the CD that includes the entire early output of the Quintet de la Hot Club de France with one of the 3 or 4 definitive Django solos to Swannee (the Jolson classic) elevated miles above it's clicheed reputation.

Jonah, it's more expensive through Amazon.co.uk, can you get it from the States, or can you persuade a friend?

Rob Jes' a smilin' all over mah face!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Since I have bored you with the stories of our move back
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Since I have bored you with the stories of our move back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info