Storage forum

General discussion

Simultaneously writing to multiple drives

by Dancinghobotom / November 28, 2009 9:11 AM PST

Hello, thanks for reading my post.

I want to store my digital photos and music. Especially for the photos, having them all on just one HD seems kind of risky....

I read that there are setups to write the same data simultaneously to two or more external hard drives - as far as I understood it, both show up as one in your gui, but when you add/remove data to that 'one' drive it writes/reads/erases it from both, simultaneously, so that you essentially have duplicate drives.
Now I cannot find any information online except about RAID setups, which seem to be for internal drives.
What I read about might have been for macs - I don't remember.

Is this possible, for either a mac or a pc?

Basically, I want to have a continuously updated backup of my backup drive, and maybe even a backup of the backup. It seems like I could also do this by using syncing software to just make one the backup of the other. Any ideas on how to do this, via any method, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, which would be safer: two or three linked HD's as described above, with their constant updatability but associated risks, or one backup hd and a DVD burner, with which I would completely back up the one HD onto 15-20 DVDs every two-three months?

Thanks again for your time!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Simultaneously writing to multiple drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Simultaneously writing to multiple drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAID
by CMN240967 / November 28, 2009 6:13 PM PST

Yeah, that is RAID, can only be done with internet drives..

I believe it is Raid 5 - Mirrors the HDD onto another HDD, so if one fails you have the other

Collapse -
You might be thinking of RAID 1 or MIRRORING
by VAPCMD / November 29, 2009 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: RAID

where whatever goes on physical drive ONE also goes on physical drive TWO.

Only problem with MIRRORING is if ONE drive gets infected by a virus, so does the other drive; if ONE drive gets hit by a spike or surge ...it'll probably take out both drives same as fire or flood.

Bottom line you really need redundancy and off-site storage to ensure you don't lose your data.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Do yourself a favor
by samkh / November 28, 2009 11:16 PM PST

Take a moment to learn the fundamentals of backup and then choose your plan carefully, balancing what you can afford in time/money with the level of risk you can bear for your data.

Of course you don't have to implement every step and there are lots of writable media to choose from these days but you will understand what businesses that "cannot afford to lose it" do to protect their data.

At the end ask yourself what you can afford to lose. Enjoy the free lesson:

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/sessions/lessons/viewLessonPreview/p/courseId/3196?courseId=3196&courseSessionId=84057&lessonId=10298&webPageId=1000009&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Collapse -
RAID 1 failures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 11:55 PM PST

Sorry but after decades of watching RAID 1 (and varients) I'm giving this a technology failing grade. Here's why. Many implemented this and thought this was a form of backup. Then I watched as fire, theft, flood and outright human error caused RAID solutions to not provide any safety net.

Imagine this common human error. The delete key. The server is on RAID 1 (or 5 or 10, etc.) and the human deletes the company portfolio of work. RAID kicks in and deletes all copies across all the RAID volumes.

Yes it did work on a drive failure but failed to save them from themselves.

The simple second drive solution where we copied the drive daily overnight saved them untold hours.

RAID is a failure. Unless you count the millions spent on it and the companies that make the stuff. Yes, they'll say you misapplied it but did they properly advise and counsel the buyers?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.