Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Simultaneous Access

by HKmark / November 1, 2005 10:07 AM PST

I have two notebooks, one Packard Bell Easynote and the other a Fujisu Lifebook, each operating with XP Home. I wish to be able to share broadband access simultaneously. The wireless router is an Orinoco BG2000. Either of the laptops can connect independantly, but not at the same time. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Simultaneous Access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Simultaneous Access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How customized is your Router setup
by SonChaser / November 4, 2005 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Simultaneous Access

I had this happen to me one time and the issue was that I setup static IPs for my PCs, only to discover that I had given the same IP to 2 of the PCs, therefore causing your situation. It's a shot in the dark...hope it works.

Collapse -
Thanks for reply.
by HKmark / November 6, 2005 12:17 PM PST

Have checked settings of router and it is set to automatic assign IP addresses to LAN wireless devices. So it seems unlikely that either of the two devices will have the same IP

Collapse -
That's one end, what about the other?
by linkit / November 6, 2005 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for reply.

So the router automatically assigns IP addresses to each computer via DHCP. Is the network adapter on each computer set to allow the router to assign its IP address?

Open the properties window for the network adapter.
Double-click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

Do you "Obtain an IP address automatically"?

Collapse -
Ends
by HKmark / November 7, 2005 10:50 AM PST

Hi, thanks for your contribution. Double checked settings at both ends...everything seems to be set up correctly for both laptops and the router. Both laptops connect to router but cannot connct to internet at same time. Will keep working on it.

Collapse -
router firmware version
by linkit / November 7, 2005 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: Ends

What is the firmware version on the router?

VERSIONS LISTED:
1.1.4 (May 29, 2003)
1.1.3 (Nov. 25, 2002)
1.1.2 (Oct 2, 2002)

It looks like version 1.1.3 may solve this problem. I would download and install the latest version (1.1.4) and go from there. See: http://www.proxim.com/

Also, make sure the drivers on your network adapters are up to date. Then restart/reboot the modem, router, all computers.

Collapse -
Router firmware updated.
by HKmark / November 8, 2005 10:15 PM PST

Hi ,have updated firmware as suggested. Still have same problem, although I noticed that if either of the laptops is in the same room as the router, then sometimes they can be connected at the same time. We have broadband TV connected to the modem, i am wondering if it is hogging bandwidth, preventing multiple connections. I could upgrade the bandwidth from 2Mbp/s to 8Mb/s, maybe that would solve the problem.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) try to disconnect your TV, see what happened.
by Melati Hitam / November 9, 2005 2:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Broadband TV.
by HKmark / November 12, 2005 10:29 AM PST

Had already considered this, but thanks anyway. I feel now that the problem is not so much in the settings but in the share of resources. Both laptops connect at same time as long as they are both in the same room as the router and the BB TV is off. If TV is on, then only one laptop can connect. I would have thought that 2Mb/s would have been enough for 2 laptops to connect simultaneously anywhere in the apartment, but apparently not. Will upgrade to 8Mb/s BB and see if that solves the problem. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?