General discussion

simply accounting help

Looking for feedback on working with simply accounting software. Hopefully, I am not alone and there are others out there that occasionally get confused.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: simply accounting help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: simply accounting help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Simply Accounting Forum
- Collapse -
previous year

After upgrading to 2007, mistakes on data were found,unable to go back to 2006 to retry the upgrade.

Help

- Collapse -
Re; upgrade problem

I don't see any relevant info in your post, such as the name of the bookkeeping software you're referring to and if 2007 and 2006 are financial years or versions of the software.

So I can only offer the most general help, like:
- uninstall and reinstall
- back to the backup of the data
I assume you've got enough common sense to backup your data before performing a software upgrade or a close-old-open-new-year operation in the application.

Hope this helps

Kees

- Collapse -
Re:upgrade problem

Simply accounting is the software, 2006 and 2007 refer to the software version.

When information was upgraded from 2006 to 2007 only some of the information was sent over. when looking at reports,for instance trial balance the beginning balance should have been the balance at the end of the fiscal year. also payroll proir to jan 1 is non existant.

When I try to restore from backup it says software is now newer version and cann't be opened.

- Collapse -
Then it looks like ...

you better uninstall the 2007 version, reinstall the 2006 version and continue happily with the data from the backup. Nothing you can do to correct an incorrect upgrade except calling their customer service.

Kees

- Collapse -
Warning The user name and password are incorrect.

I run a small IT firm in Canada and I've come across this warning a couple of times in the past month:

"The user name and password are incorrect. Please enter a valid user name and password."

The only feedback that I'd get from Simply was by paid support, and they conveniently hand this problem to a third party for repair. (The repair bill starts at several hundred dollars.) There is no information on their support sites which is weird as I think it may be a common problem.

It appears to be an issue with the Windows database engine. So make sure you BACK UP every day, or more often.

I am curious if others are having the same problem.

- Collapse -
Simply Accounting 2007 - Problems with username/password

We have unfortunately just come across the same thing and as you said, was redirected to a third party company. Have you found a solution to this problem. We were foolish in not doing regular backups and will lose 2 months work if we can't login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the MDWRecovery or Simply Accounting Password Recovery software work for this problem?

Thanks,
Georgie

- Collapse -
FIXED! Here is the solution to the username/password error

Okay people! After wasting time with SA's tech support, spending money on a password recovery program, countless hours researching a solution online.. here is what did the trick for me. No password recovery, no re-entry of data and no restore from backup (well just to copy the password file again, see below)...

"
Simply Accounting Forum
Subject: Re: Unable to log in
Posted by: Janice LeDuc
Posted on: Sunday, 17th December 2006

Try this:
Find your last backup and restore it to a different name NOT to your current data. Then close all Simply programs. Explore to the data folder and view all files (details). You should have current.sdb (large file) and current.sdw (small file) and different.sdb (large file) and different.sdw (small file). Change the names of the small files as follows: Edit the name of current.sdw to current1.sdw to get it out of the way and then edit the name of different.sdw to current.sdw. Then double click on current.sdb and Simply should open up.

If you don't see the full file names in Explorer, find a semi-tech person and show them this.

"

I hope you all have great success with it and please share this with everyone you know so that they are suckered into spending their hard-earned money on a "solution" that should have been readily available from Simply.

Good luck,
Georgie

- Collapse -
typo

AREN'T suckered.

whoops Happy

georgie

- Collapse -
MDWRecovery

This software only lists all usernames/password already declared in your database, which is complety useless for us. We have the warning message "The user name and password are incorrect. Please enter a valid user name and password" when enter absolutely correct username/password !!!
I event tried to retrieve the SDW from the backup tape, and place it in the same directoty, in vain.
Quoc G.

- Collapse -
Warning The user name and password are incorrect.

Hi twice now we have gone in to simply accounting and it asks for a password and username,first time my wife had to redo from where backup ended. We never did enter a user name or password just set up account on our home computor for my small business so my wife was the only user. Now it is asking for this info and as we have never used a user name or password we are locked out. any help would be appreciated thanks

- Collapse -
if there's no more help from the company ...

than what they have to offer now, I'd seriously consider to say goodbye to them and find a better (or, at least, better supported) accounting package. This seems substandard.

Kees

- Collapse -
Same prpblem here

I do IT work for a medium size company in Canada. We have had 3 instances now of the invalid username and password. We have had to restore from backups and were also directed to a 3rd party solution provider. I work, as my fulltime job, for a dental and medical software company. I am a software suppoft analyst. If we were to pull stunts like this on our customers there woud be no way that the company would survive. Time to kick Simply Accounting and boy lovely folks at Sage to the curb.

- Collapse -
I also had the problem with username and password

I was told by Simply online help that I must have changed the name of the S/A file. To correct this problem to stop receiving username/password, I needed to match up my CAB and SDB file names again. I did not realize I changed the name of my file but I guess I did. In any event, I was not able to change it back as I didn't remember doing it in the first place, so I had to re-enter weeks of info and invoicing. I was using Simply Accounting Basic 2005 at the time. I recently upgraded to S/A Basic 2007 and have had several errors with this version (or they say my data file) too.
Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Backup Backup Backup Backup

I know there's a problem here because my accountant and a couple of my clients have/are experienced this same issue. It's really a difficult situation because we(Everyone)are very dependent of this software and we are SOL unless we want to fork out some big money to retrieve the data from the corrupt file. I decided to have my administrator spend a week re-entering data because it didn't feel right paying for something that should never have happened in the first place. Luckly one of my technical staff was able to retrieve enough data through a recovery program so that she could reference everything.

My suggestion, set your defaults to back up daily "AND" when closing!!! Ridiculous but neccessary.

- Collapse -
user name/password incorrect

I run a small business in Canada too, and I have recently had this same problem...I am desperate to have it fixed, but cannot seem to get any help.
One minute I was using SImply Basic, the next minute it was gone, and when I reopened it it would no longer accept my password or the master password.
For some reason it has not given me the option of choosing any recent backed up copies, so I have no access to almost 6 months worth of entries!
Please help!

- Collapse -
Currency problem

Hi there,
I have a US denominated account which is translated to Cdn $ at month end rates. My problem is that in USD, my account says $1.57 balance and the corresponding CDN $ balance is -$1,484.34. I think something went wrong in Nov when my bookkeeper set up the US denominated account at that time but I need a solution to get the CDN balance to where it should be and I can't figure it out.
Can you help?
thanks

- Collapse -
Currency problem (contd)

PS - I am using this version of Simply:
Simply Accounting Basic (Version 2005 Release D SP3)

- Collapse -
Jimmy. Please don't do that.

Your choice of course but burying your new discussion under an old one is never a good idea. Create a new discussion and choose a great subject title to get people to read it.

Bob

- Collapse -
thanks - Done.
- Collapse -
I did my part.

It's more likely you'll have members seeing your post there and over on the PC Applications Forum. Try a post there as well since the Small business Forum is not visited often.

Bob

- Collapse -
sister help

My sister and her husband have a small business but she has no clue how to work simply acct. is there any step by step guide out there that I could print out for her???
If anyone could help that would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks

- Collapse -
Reading through this thread ...

I doubt if I could recommend that program to anybody.

If the licensed program doesn't come with enough help and examples and tutorials and booklets, I know for sure.

Kees

- Collapse -
Ours came with a thick book.

It's almost an entire course in accounting.

- Collapse -
Vendor Aged Report vs GL balance

How can I find out why our GL AP balance is different than our Vendor Aged Report?

CNET Forums

Forum Info