Laptops forum

General discussion

SimpleTech's 7200rpm Drive really a Samsung 5400rpm Drive???

I wanted a faster drive for my Toshiba notebook. So I bought a SimpleTech 7200rpm Hard drive (STI-HD2.5/60H, 7200rpm 9.5mm). The "SimpleTech" label states that it's a 7200rpm drive, 9.5MM 60GB, etc...

However, SimpleTech places their Label over top of the original OEM Drive Manufacture's label. So I carefully peeled off the SimpleTech Label reveling the OEM Drive Manufacture's Label.

Low and behold - The OEM Label states that the drive is made by Samsung and is model number: MP0603H - a 5400 RPM Drive!!!!

What is going on?!? How can SimpleTech sell Samsung's 5400 RPM DRIVE as a 7200RPM Drive?? Did I just get ripped off?

Any help would be greatly welcomed!!

Thanks,
Greg
Sarasota, FL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SimpleTech's 7200rpm Drive really a Samsung 5400rpm Drive???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SimpleTech's 7200rpm Drive really a Samsung 5400rpm Drive???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
refund/replacement

In reply to: SimpleTech's 7200rpm Drive really a Samsung 5400rpm Drive???

SimpleTech's website says that model is 5400rpm (see Specifications tab):
http://www.simpletech.com/estore/index.php?partNumber=STI-HD2.5/60A&ProfileID=1

I also Googled that model number. Some stores were designating that model as 7200rpm. That's either a mistake or dishonest advertising. Either way, I think you are entitled to a refund or replacement from where you purchased it. That is, if you really want a 7200rpm model for the speed. You should get more battery life with a 5400rpm hard drive.

Collapse -
re: refund/replacement

In reply to: refund/replacement

Thanks for the reply! I just spoke with ST and they said, "oh it must have been a mistake. Contact your vendor". So I called my rept at CDW and they was a detailed e-mail re: the situation.

This is just pain BULL! I wonder how much MONEY someone or company made selling 5400rpm drives with a SimpleTech 7200rpm lable on it!?!

I carry 2 batteries w/m most of the time so I'm not too concerned about battery life.

Thanks again for your searching and time!

Collapse -
Hmmm.

In reply to: re: refund/replacement

Collapse -
re: Hummm...

In reply to: Hmmm.

I will surely do that! I don't think it's CDW's fault unless CDW is placing the labels on the drives!?!

Whatever the case, someone or Company is at fault! I will be posting this all over on every forum I can think of!

I think everyone that has a drive from SimpleTech better check the OEM Label and make sure it's what it says it is.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Collapse -
I disagree

In reply to: re: Hummm...

There are dozens companies that slap their labels on a hard drives made by one of the handful of hard drive manufacturers. Seagate is a BIGGIE! Nothing wrong with that.

If you Google your hard drive model number, you will see places that PROPERLY market that SimpleTech drive as 5400rpm (including SimpleTech!). There are some that mistakenly advertise it as 7200rpm. This one is CDW's fault--not SimpleTech's.

Collapse -
SORRY - BIG OOPS!

In reply to: I disagree

Collapse -
re: SORRY - BIG OOPS!

In reply to: SORRY - BIG OOPS!

It is FOR SURE a H

STI-HD2.5/60H

Collapse -
good work

In reply to: re: SORRY - BIG OOPS!

Good.

I think you are on the right track with escalating it. Whether or not SimpleTech mislabeled it, I still think CDW needs to give you the refund or replacement.

Collapse -
re: I disagree...

In reply to: I disagree

Thank a bunch for you comments. I beleive you are correct, that CDW put the label on the drive. I just sent a large e-mail to my rep. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
I don't think CDW touched the hard drive label

In reply to: re: I disagree...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.