Storage forum

General discussion

SimpleTech 320gb external suddenly only half-recognized

by jlane72c / September 22, 2008 11:31 PM PDT

Hi and thanks in advance, oh wise ones.

Despite my best precautions, my home laptop finally caught a virus I couldn't remove, so eventually I decided to reformat (WinXP). I made sure to back up everything I needed onto my SimpleTech Pininfarina 320GB external drive, which I've been using for a year with no problems.

When I tried to get my old files back from the drive...I ran into problems. Windows is recognizing a new drive...it even calls it by name in the Device Manager...but it's either not showing up in "my computer", or when it does show up, if I click on it, it just hangs up my system. The drive also tends to randomly hang up the system just from being on...when I turn it off suddenly everything kicks back into gear.

I assumed the problem was the fault of my reformat, but when I brought the drive into work and plugged it into my 2-week-old desktop (also XP) it's the same story. I took apart the case and made sure all connections were solid but it was no help.

I'm at the end of my rope here as there is a lot of important stuff on that drive, like all my kids' baby photos. In the time between everything being loaded on and the problem arising the drive was not moved from the desk or otherwise suffer any impact.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SimpleTech 320gb external suddenly only half-recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SimpleTech 320gb external suddenly only half-recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: external hard disk
by Kees Bakker / September 22, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

A backup is only a backup as long as you have the originals. Delete those and a backup is your only copy. Which means that you have no backup any more.

See if putting the drive in a new box helps.

Kees

Collapse -
backups
by jlane72c / September 22, 2008 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: external hard disk

yeah, well, the original setup was that I had all this stuff on the laptop, and I regularly backed-up to the external. The reformat plan was to wipe the laptop and then re-load all that stuff back onto it, all within a day.

I don't think it was irresponsible of me to not make a backup of a backup considering that burning all that stuff to CD would have taken a week (problems with the DVD burner was one of the reasons for the wipe) and the external drive was working fine that morning.

Collapse -
Just bad luck.
by Kees Bakker / September 22, 2008 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: backups

Hope you can recover it without resorting to expensive services.

Also see ramarcs post in http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035-0.html?messageID=2864864&tag=incmng#2864864

And it's free to try the recovery software mentioned by Bob in http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035_102-0.html?forumID=70&threadID=309477&messageID=2864162

If you've got some time to browse through this forum, you'll notice how many posts are about losing data on an external hard disk. Once you realise that, it seems a little bit more irresponsible than before.

Best of luck.

Kees

Collapse -
thx
by jlane72c / September 22, 2008 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Just bad luck.

I'll try all that stuff.

Yeah, I suppose due to Murphy's Law of course I should have expected it to die within that tiny window. Lesson learned I suppose.

Thanks.

Collapse -
plus
by jlane72c / September 22, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

Oh, I should also mention, I have already tried: every one of the USB ports, updating the drivers, uninstalling then reinstalling from Device Manager, Troubleshoot through Device Manager (this device is working properly), and populate.

Collapse -
(WinXP) is the clue here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 11:52 PM PDT

Since you only have (WinXP) then it does not support drives over 320gb until you install the service pack. While it's wrong to think of external drives as backup when you reduce your copies to one and only one the words in your post are all I have to work with.

Let's hope you get lucky after you update windows.

Also, it's proper for the USB ports to not work if you installed some Retail copy of (WinXP). Here's why. Microsoft does not supply USB and motherboard drivers. For laptops we want to use the makers restore feature.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't think that's it
by jlane72c / September 22, 2008 11:59 PM PDT

I understand what you're saying...but if that is the case, I'm confused as to why the external drive worked fine on my desktop at work as recently as last week, and then today when I brought it in it's giving me the same problems as on the re-installed laptop. In both cases I've brought XP fully up to date with all windows update downloads.

Collapse -
Be sure to note such in your posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 12:03 AM PDT

I only have your posts to work with here and if you omit details such as XP Service Pack 2 Home which tells me exactly what the OS is then I'll offer the thought above.

I still see issues that you can clear up such as Microsoft never supplies the drivers for motherboard and more. I can't count the times...
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by jlane72c / September 23, 2008 12:09 AM PDT

Apologies. I'm not tech-savvy enough to know what info to provide to you, I guess.

At home, I reloaded it using the Windows XP service Pack 2 that came with the Dell Laptop. From there I did all my updating through the "windows update" function within windows. I don't have it with me here at work so I may not be able to provide further technical info. Before reinstalling, I did back up all my drivers using a program (forgot the name) that did a great job providing me with everything I needed to get everything else up and running.

At work, I am running XP Pro x64 edition, version 2003, SP2. This desktop was purchased new for me just a couple of weeks ago and no major reformatting/deleting has been done on it. I did all the windows updating as soon as it arrived. It had no problem accessing this external drive last week when I uploaded some MP3 files from the external drive to my new machine.

Collapse -
That Dell laptop should have
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

Some supplemental CD for the drivers. Dell has the drivers for your machine if you go to dell.com and enter in the service tag.

Your install seems off beat. Why the need to save drivers and restore them with any tool since we have proper methods such as the supplemental CD or dell.com? This makes me wonder if the install was botched.

". It had no problem accessing this external drive last week when I uploaded some MP3 files from the external drive to my new machine."

If this drive is working with the other machine, this confirms the install was botched. Try again but try it per Dell's install instructions.
Bob

Collapse -
no
by jlane72c / September 23, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

Bob - it's *not* working on the other machine. It's not working in either machine, in exactly the same way. That's why I believe it's the drive itself, not the re-install.

I see that I did not mention that I *did* do the re-install from the supplemental CDs provided when I bought the machine. The use of the tool was just a safety precaution...with the ONE exception of this backup-of-a-backup incident, I am extremely thorough in always having a "plan B". Leftovers from Eagle Scout training I suppose.

Collapse -
Plan B
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: no

Now try these free to try programs that will let you see what they'll get back. Find with google.

1. GETDATABACK
2. ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY
3. EASY RECOVERY

Good luck,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?