Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Simple question using a 2 Gig SD Flash Card

by taboma / May 24, 2006 3:20 PM PDT

How many photo will I be able to take using a Canon SD500 and having my camera setting on superfine and large? My SD card is 2 Gigs.

I know that Joe Randolph recommended shooting with superfine and having a larger card to take advantage of this. Thus avoiding a JPEG compression issue.

I was comparing digital photos this past Monday with my neighbor.
I had images shot on fine. His wife had images shot as small.
The difference was amazing to view.
I cropped both images using Photoshop.
My neighbors was really grainy (using small) and mine were very good (using fine).
There is also the fact that my neighbor had a camera with 3 MPX.
A lower value than my Canon's 7.1 MPX. Cannot compare apples to oranges here.
I still think we should shoot all photos as super fine V/S small, as Joe Randolph recommended.
My wife has a Canon S400 and her photo images using fine are wonderful. Would be even better using superfine, so I adjusted her camera to superfine this week. Her flash compact flash card reader is a 256MB. (Have two.)
Great photo images.
My hat's off to Canon technology.
There are better cameras out there. However, we both like the small size of the Digital Elf while traveling or shooting family photos.

Here is my wife's photo shot using a Canon S400 and on fine & large settings.
Kind of neat! (Photo taken at a Turkish fishing port, Cesme, last May.)

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/795/fishingportcesmejudith9ew.jpg

Always nice to have a great photo shot while traveling and viewing them later. Across the street from these fishing boats is an wonderful fish restaurant. You pick out your own fresh fish to have cooked and served to you. Just awesome! Wish I were there right now.
Should have taken a photo of the restaurant and the amazing fresh fish selection for you to view last May.

-Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Simple question using a 2 Gig SD Flash Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Simple question using a 2 Gig SD Flash Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory Card Capacity
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 12:14 AM PDT

The answer is on page 178 of your User's Guide.

It shows 156 photos for 512 megabyte card.
Since 2Gig is 4 times larger.
156 x 4 = 624 (approximate)

Collapse -
Memory Card Capacity
by taboma / May 25, 2006 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory Card Capacity

624. Thank you Joe for the info and the page number in my manual.

-Kevin

Collapse -
I've always shot at maximum resolution unless I was running
by Kiddpeat / May 25, 2006 2:57 PM PDT

out of card space. Then I'ld dial it back to jpeg. My Nikon 4500 really took a loooooong time to save tif (its largest) files.

Thankfully, my 20D will save a full size raw as fast as it saves a jpeg. Raw files are even more amazing than anything you've seen.

BTW, I carry a portable hard drive which I use to download photos from the camera cards. Then, I can reformat the card and keep shooting.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!