TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Simple Question re Home Audio Connection

My last home theater was a JBL HTIB with 5 speakers and a sub. It was connected to an old school CRT big screen (Sony) with the red and white audio cables. All other components such as DVD players and video game consoles were connected directly to the TV. In everyday use, I left the JBL unit on and the volume fixed and used the TV to control the volume. I also ran a coaxial cable to the tv for "basic cable" without a cable box.

I have now upgraded to a Samsung plasma with a DirecTV HD. I am running an HDMI cable from my box to the TV.

Question: Can I mirror my prior set up but simply connecting all components such as a dvd player and Playstation directly to the TV and then connecting an optical cable from my TV to my new receiver or HTIB of choice? I've noticed that people are running everythign through the A/V receiver and then to TV. I was just wondering what advantage this has. It just seems to add an additional level of complexity.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Simple Question re Home Audio Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Simple Question re Home Audio Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please help!

In reply to: Simple Question re Home Audio Connection

Any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Depends

In reply to: Please help!

Does your TV throughput the 5.1 audio from any input on your TV or is your optical output only from the TVs HD tuner? Try it. Either you will get sound or you won't.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Depends

I'll try it. I guess if it doesnt work, I'll have to buy some more cables.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.