Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

simple question

by GeorgeCant2010 / July 31, 2010 5:08 AM PDT

I pose this question because I find conflicting information when I google this issue

If I lose my internet connection and I need to restart my DSL modem, can I do that by just simply turning the DSL Modem power button off and then back on? (My DSL modem does have a power button)
I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT RESETTING DSL MODEM, JUST RESTARTING

I have read about turning off the pc, unplugging DSL MOdem etc.
But then some friends who are Computer Techs for a school system say that
FIRST THING TO TRY-you just need to simply turn off the power switch to the DSL Modem, then turn it back on. No need to unplug anything like PC, etc
so I'm confused as what the correct first option to try
Again, not talking about RESETTING, talking about RESTARTING

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Turning OFF The Power To A DSL Modem...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: simple question

...will cause it to "re-initialize" to the internet service provider and usually fix minor modem connection issues.. Yes, it can be done with the power switch only and no cables need to be disconnected.. Still, when performing this step, it's best to turn OFF the computer first, then turn off the modem, then leave the power off for a few minutes, (maybe five or so minutes), then restart the modem, wait two minutes for it to reinitialize, then turn on the computer again.. DSL isn't as critical as cable service, (Cable modems tend to need a longer "OFF" period to re-initialize correctly.), but turning OFF the computer first is primarily for safety to the computer's files and hardware. As you have stated, in the case of a modem/router combo unit, the step above will NOT change the settings within the modem/router itself such as firewall or passwords...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by GeorgeCant2010 / July 31, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

But it is ok, as some tell me, to just do the simple switch DSL Modem power button off and then back on without shutting off PC or disconnecting modem power cord?
I mean the simple approach can work too right? This is where I get confused as to the different responses one can receive. Is it just a mater of preference?

so simple turn off DSL Modem power switch(even if PC stays on) is ok to do and see if that works? Or can you REALLY mess things up that way?

Collapse -
(NT) Your Method Should Be Fine
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
confused
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 3, 2010 10:17 AM PDT

sorry Griff, I'm so wordy I confuse myself. Do you mean that

simple turn off DSL Modem power switch(even if PC stays on) is ok to do ?

Collapse -
I Stated....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: confused

In my first response: "....when performing this step, it's best to turn OFF the computer first, then turn off the modem, then leave the power off for a few minutes, (maybe five or so minutes), then restart the modem, wait two minutes for it to reinitialize, then turn on the computer again.." "...turning OFF the computer first is primarily for safety to the computer's files and hardware"

You then asked: "But it is ok, as some tell me, to just do the simple switch DSL Modem power button off and then back on without shutting off PC or disconnecting modem power cord?"

At which point I responded: "Your Method Should Be Fine"

As to whether it's "ok to do", it's usually not important, one way or the other. I can only tell you what I do, and I've told you...

You choose...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 4, 2010 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I Stated....

Thats where I got confused as to what you meant by "your method should be fine"? meaning the simple do the simple switch DSL Modem power button off and then back on without shutting off PC or disconnecting modem power cord?"

Collapse -
(NT) Your Choice... Either Works..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 4, 2010 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Grif
Collapse -
Do what works best for you.
by Papa Echo / August 3, 2010 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: confused

Experiment. It might have been an issue in the early days of Networking and Internet connection. Modern modems and routers are mostly plug and play - you can even configure some to run on "no configuration" mode...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!