Phones forum

Question

SIM Memory Contacts to Phone Memory

by GeoffSri / November 20, 2013 9:55 PM PST

LG A340
I do not have any memory left on my SIM card to add new contacts. How can I transfer present and new contacts to the phone memory.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SIM Memory Contacts to Phone Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SIM Memory Contacts to Phone Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Doesn't seem to be a feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 10:47 PM PST

I looked at http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-a340-gray-at/4505-6454_7-35190170.html and a little more and this phone is a standard flip phone without such a feature. You may have to move to a bigger smart phone.

This appears to be cross posted. I'm guessing you hope someone can fix this phone but as it is not a smart phone and the manual does not show any sign of what you are asking for, my reading is that it's just like it was years ago (before smart phones.)
Bob

Collapse -
LGA340
by GeoffSri / November 20, 2013 11:20 PM PST

The question I posted yesterday is different. To yesterdays question you answered " Doesn't seem to be a feature" Today my question is since the SIM card is full, how to move contacts to the phones internal memory not the microSD card.

Collapse -
I didn't see that either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: LGA340

That is, a quick read of the manual does not show that as a feature.

HOWEVER let's bring up a tool called the CelleBrite. It's a box that service counters use to shuttle such information between phones. I wonder if you need one of those but the cost may floor you.

-> I wonder if you are seeing what I'm seeing. That is, folk are expecting these standard phones to have memory and features on par with the smart phones. I don't have a good answer to how to explain that standard phones do not appear to be getting any updates.
Bob

Collapse -
And I'd be remiss if I didn't note BitPim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 1:19 AM PST
Collapse -
What about ATT's transfer service?
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2013 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: LGA340

See here:

http://www.att.com/learningcenter/copy-contacts.do

If that's not possible, there's also the idea of, first moving out your current SIM card. Move contacts OFF that SIM card into the internal memory of a new handset. Then after that, delete what's on the SIM card, and go back to the LG phone, where you are now free to move over the rest of the contacts until the process is complete.

You should also invest in a $5 SIM card reader, where you can quickly backup to a PC.

Collapse -
Sad but true....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 3:21 AM PST

....not all phones have the option to transfer contacts from the SIM to internal memory. Nothing you can do after the fact now.

Collapse -
SIM Card Reader
by GeoffSri / December 3, 2013 2:04 AM PST

I just purchased a SIM card reader, unfortunately does not work on Windows 7 64bit. Where can I find one that does?

Collapse -
I'd use google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: SIM Card Reader

But feel free to share make/model that failed so others can avoid it.

Collapse -
Did you....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: SIM Card Reader

....try to contact the device manufacturer ?? They may have an update to allow the device to work on Windows 7 64-bit.

Collapse -
Good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Did you....

The model I noted does not ship with a CD. Why? By the time it made it across the ocean, a new version of Windows might come out.

Collapse -
Don't forget....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: Good idea.

....that many devices no longer come with a CD/DVD installation media. Windows usually automatically detect the hardware and goes online to search for the drivers. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Answer
Nice post
by iminmessaging / November 21, 2013 3:47 AM PST

Hello,
there is also a trick of, first moving out your current SIM card which you inserted in your phone. Move contacts OFF that SIM card into the internal memory of a new handset. Then after that, delete what's on the SIM card, and go back to the phone, where you are now free to move over the rest of the contacts until the process is complete as well.

Collapse -
That's what I posted above (n/t)
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2013 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Nice post

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!