Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Silicon Valley money

by TONI H / October 22, 2014 12:07 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Silicon Valley money
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Silicon Valley money
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't you find it interesting
by Diana Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Silicon Valley money

that the wealthy people in Silicon Valley give their money to the party that wants to tax them more?

Shows where their values are. They would rather help people and get less themselves. I would like to see how much those people give to charity.

Diana

Collapse -
"Wanting to" and "Doing" are
by TONI H / October 22, 2014 1:47 AM PDT

two different things......why do you think no tax reform bills are ever written and voted on in the Senate? The Dem party has basically spread the word to their donors that publicly they'll trash them and say that the top 1% should pay more, but nothing will ever really come of it so they don't have to worry about it.

As for charities.....it's been proven that even the lowest earner in the Conservative side of the two parties give more to charities than any liberal/Democrat.

Collapse -
The Senate doesn't set taxes and budgets
by Diana Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 9:49 AM PDT

The House does and look who controls it.

Diana

Collapse -
There are many bills
by TONI H / October 22, 2014 11:00 AM PDT

that the Senate writes and votes on and then sends them to the House for a vote or amendments to return to the Senate for a vote for the Pres to sign, Diana.........not all bills originate in the House first. The fact is, the Senate under Harry Reid and BO has not once written a bill regarding tax reform.

Collapse -
(NT) You were specifically talking about tax reforms
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: There are many bills
Collapse -
Yes, I was
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 5:33 AM PDT

and the Senate has never written one to send to the House for either a vote or for amendments..........

Trying to figure out your point........

Collapse -
The senate has nothing to do with originating
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I was

tax reforms or budgets or spending bills.

Diana

Collapse -
Just looked it up in the Constituion
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Diana

Collapse -
A majority of the bills coming out of the House
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 7:19 AM PDT

are to defund ACA.

Diana

Collapse -
But
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 7:59 AM PDT

since the Republicans actually want to have tax 'reform', which is to change the tax laws and not 'raise revenue', Diana, there is no reason that the Senate cannot write and submit a bill to do just that to the House.......They have written and submitted many bills, with earmarks for more funding, many times. Isn't that a 'raising revenue' issue?

Collapse -
The Senate and President can suggest all sorts of things
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: But

but only the House can actually submit a bill to raise revenue and they aren't going to do it especially on their masters.

Diana

Collapse -
Oh, Good Grief.....
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 9:50 AM PDT

Nancy Pelosi was 'king' in the House for his first two years....IF they wanted to raise revenue, he had plenty of support and time to get it done. When will you EVER admit that the DEMS don't want tax reform of ANY kind?

Collapse -
Didn't they have to wait for the Bush bill to expire first?
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, Good Grief.....

They were a little busy the first two years as well.

Collapse -
Sure they were busy...with Obamacare
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 8:04 PM PDT

and that was the ONLY thing they concentrated on........other than spending and wasting two trillion dollars on bailouts and stimulus crap that helped NOBODY.

You can excuse this administration for two years of 'being busy' and ignoring everything else they could have been working on that was really important to the country, but blame Bush for 9-11 after 8 months because they didn't 'listen' to Clinton's warning about OBL (when Clinton did nothing about him when he had plenty of chances including having him in custody)........and even THAT intel wasn't definitive enough to actually do anything about it anyhow.

I'm done......

Collapse -
Giving through taxes is the easy way
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2014 2:38 AM PDT

and, IMO, the less efficient way to help other people by sharing one's success. Since we're often told that welfare benefits aren't the drain that we might think, it would seem that direct giving is the way to make sure charity dollars go where we want them to go. If you've never heard of the concept of "good stewardship", I'll let you know that it's not as simple as tossing a few bucks in the beggars tin can. It actually requires thinking and making certain that what we give will be properly spent. If folks want to trust the government with their charity dollars, let 'em have at it. As for me, I'll seek out and support those operations that I feel are most deserving.

Collapse -
I know but how much have Republicans
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2014 9:34 AM PDT

given to help feed and clothe and house the poor?

Diana

Collapse -
Far more than Dems have.....
by TONI H / October 23, 2014 9:51 AM PDT

I provided links before about this to back it up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?