Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

signing email on OE 6

by Bill Osler / January 23, 2009 8:48 PM PST

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. I'll repost elsewhere if there is a better place.

I would like to be able to exchange some sensitive information between my work and home computers using email. I have been using a USB flash drive but that is less than ideal for various reasons.

OE 6 works OK when I send unsigned emails. I can receive signed emails from my work address and I can send encrypted emails to my work address.
However, every time I try to send a signed email from my home PC to my work PC I get an error message:
The message could not be sent. An error has occurred.
As a result I have not been able to send my certificate for the home email to work and I have not yet been able to test the ability of OE6 to read encrypted email.
I have already tried deleting the security certificate for the home PC and reinstalling it.
I have read that this error message can result from several things (insufficient memory, blank name in IE email account setup, corrupted inbox/outbox/..., clicking 'Cancel' at Win XP logon) but none of those apply in my case. I have read that OE will generate this message if the user's .pwl file is corrupted but so far as I can tell that is not relevant with Win XP and I found no hits when I searched for *.pwl on my computer.
I'm running Win XP Pro SP3 and OE 6 on the home PC. All high priority updates are installed. I have about 1.5 GB RAM and there are a couple hundred GB free disk space on the PC. I have obtained a free personal certificate from Thawte for each email address. The certificates installed with no apparent problem on both ends. The email account in OE is set up properly with valid data in the name, servers, email address and so on. I sign on to Windows XP Pro with a username and a password. Programs other than OE are currently working pretty much as expected. When I check account information in OE 6 under the security tab it appears that the correct certificate is installed and is listed in the box for signing as well as in the box for encryption. The Thawte service is listed in my trusted certificate chain (I'm not sure of the correct terminology here)
I have tried turning off my AV's email scanner. I have also tried compacting the message store, deleting in Inbox, outbox, drats, sent folders.

Any suggestions for what to do next?

I have considered reinstalling OE 6 but if memory serves that generally requires reinstalling IE as well and I'm hoping that is not necessary.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: signing email on OE 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: signing email on OE 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know if this helps?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2009 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: signing email on OE 6

Hi Bill.

I don't use signed or encrypted emails and have not heard of Thawte before, so my information is very limited.

But looking at the Thawte web site Support pages here;
https://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certificates/technical-support/email/msie.html#faq10
I see this message is listed.

It says;

Error: "This message could not be sent. An error has occurred."
For instructions to solve this problem please refer to KB solution: SO5218
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That KB solution code is a link, but unfortunately when you click that link you are taken to what seems to be a different error and solution.

Perhaps the solution is the same, or is there something else there that might help?

Good luck, and hopefully others here will have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
I'm not sure which KB article that linked to ...
by Bill Osler / January 24, 2009 6:13 AM PST

I saw that link when I was looking for information at Thawte. I did eventually find several MS Knowledge Base articles that mentioned things like memory problems, corrupted .pwl files, failure to log on to Windows and so on. None of those possible solutions has helped.

Thanks,
Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?