Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Signal Strength: very low

by June4life / August 8, 2005 9:35 AM PDT

I am currently using Adelphia High Speed Internet, which is cable. On my main computer, I have a linksys wireless router set up to give wireless internet to my laptop.

On the laptop, I always have excellent signal strength everywhere in my house, and the websites load incredibly fast.

However, I recently purchased another desktop computer for my daughter who is entering college. I also bought a D-link wireless card and had that installed in the computer. As soon as I turned the computer on, it detected the wireless internet. The problem is, I always have "very low" signal strength. It says I am connected at 11mbps- websites load extremely slow.

There are a total of three computers connected to the wireless internet.

Is there anything I can do to strengthen the signal to my other desktop? I've tried new antennas, and moving the linksys wireless device to different locations, and I still haven't had any luck.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Signal Strength: very low
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Signal Strength: very low
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is the linksys firmware the latest?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 12:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
firmware?
by June4life / August 8, 2005 2:15 PM PDT

I'm not sure what firmware is, exactly...

Just a thought- since I have the linksys wireless router, should I have purchased the linksys wireless card for my desktop as well? Instead, I purchased a D=Link wireless, which is completely compatible...?

Collapse -
Just FYI.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: firmware?

Firmware is the code the router runs. Updates are available at the maker's web site.

-> Getting a new router does not ensure you have the latest firmware. And many are unaware of the update.

Bob

Collapse -
More connections, less speed
by jas0nhe / August 9, 2005 9:11 AM PDT

With my home wireless network, I've found that two or more computers browsing Web sites simultaneously result in a major hit on speed.

Try turning off all other devices, and then check the quality of your signal. If that still doesn't resolve the problem and you've installed the latest firmware upgrade, you probably have a defective wireless card.

-Jason

Collapse -
Updated firmware... now what?
by June4life / August 10, 2005 2:26 AM PDT

I went to linksys.com and updated the firmware for my model. Is that all I need to do? All I did was click download, and thats all...

Collapse -
^^^^^ Didn't work
by June4life / August 10, 2005 2:32 AM PDT

I upgraded the firmware, and still have no luck...

Collapse -
Is the antenna installed on that PCI card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2005 2:46 AM PDT

I ran across someone that didn't install the antenna since "they didn't like the looks of it."

-> Look at www.freeantennas.com to see how to build a reflector for free to boost the units reception.

Bob

Collapse -
I have a similar problem, but intermittently
by barbrico / September 13, 2006 11:58 PM PDT

I have a Linksys wireless router with Comcast cable Internet connection.

I have only 1 laptop using the wireless connection.

In the morning, between roughly 9:00 - 11:00, the signal strength is very low and my connection is occasionally dropped. Then it magically corrects itself.

My land-line connection during this time doesn't drop, but it is a little slow on some graphics.

I contacted Comcast; they tested the modem connection and told me there is no problem on their end.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
At the shop...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Break time is about that time and the microwave ovens (all dozen of them) are in use. Guess what? Those ovens are in the same 2.4GHz band so we bet that's an inteference source.

Now the big question. It's unlikely that we can get rid of these but we suspect one or two of them are more leaky than the others. Over time we hope to figure out which one it is.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!