General discussion

Sign in again

I frequently get the message: "You were signed out from here because you signed in to a version of Messenger that doesn't let you sign in to more than one place. Click here to sign in again." I have Version 9 (Build 14.0.8089.726) What's going on?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sign in again
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sign in again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Also, I notice

I checked installed programs: Windows Live Sync, Windows Live Sign-in Assistant, Windows Live Essentials, and W L upload tool are listed. If there were two instances of WL installed, what would I seek to remove?

- Collapse -
Windows Live...

1.) The login issue is the result a security feature. If you login via one computer and then log in via another, the first computer will be logged off automatically. You will then be prompted, on the first computer, to log in again, which will force the second computer to log off. If you did not login on two separate computers/devices, it may be an indication that someone else is using your account.

2.) All of those Windows Live programs can co-exist; such should not be the cause of your current login issue. If you want to try reinstalling to see if it is a glitch, though, you'd be best served uninstalling and reinstalling all of them.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
Interesting!

I leave my PC on with the usual power-save and screensaver features all week (heck, all the time really) and Windows Live is never deliberately logged off. I have a local area network of 2 desktops but never use Live on the other. AFAIK, no one else would have reason to log on to Live elsewhere in the world. Any way to get the IP address of such an instance? Thanks.

- Collapse -
I don't believe so...

Such is offered with some services, including Google's latest Gmail update, but off hand I do not believe it is possible to get the IP address of other Windows Live Messenger log-ons.

If changing your password does not current the problem, note that some have found it necessary to edit the system registry, deleting the entry MachineGUID from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger every time Windows Live Messenger 2009 is launched. It is an unusual issue that should be resolved in the soon-to-be-released WLM 2010, but deleting the key is a temporary workaround.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
To simplify the workaround application...

Create a REG file (ex: FixWLM2009.reg) consisting of the following line:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger "MachineGUID"=-

From then on, just double-click the REG file (and permit the import) to delete the registry key without having to browse through the registry using Regedit.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
Thanks, John

Sounds like a plan. Sure would be nice to find out the cause(r) though. Regards, Pete

CNET Forums

Forum Info