General discussion

Side-By-Side Configuration Errors

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit version 6.1.7600, build 7600 and currently experiencing several issues that may or may not be related. I have run numerous diagnostics including Windows Diagnostics, Windows Memory Diagnostics, Scan Disk and System File Checker among others with no problems reported. Whenever I save a 'Snipping' and try to reopen it I get an error message stating that?The Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. The same occurs when I attempt to open any of my Nero multimedia programs. I have found the sxstrace.exe but it will not open or run in addition to many Event Log errors 33 and 35 but have been unable to determine cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated though please note that I am not an advanced user. Explain in detail any instructions concerning command-line or registry fixes if these apply. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Side-By-Side Configuration Errors
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Side-By-Side Configuration Errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry but no direct cure. I have a question.

The side by side errors I've run into are the result of registry and other system cleaners. Be sure to supply what titles were used.

- Collapse -
Titles

Thanks for your post. By titles I assume you mean antivirus, registry or other system cleaners. The only ones I can confirm run recently are FlashCookiesCleaner and IObit Security 360 and these have already been uninstalled. I have WinUtilities installed but have not run it yet. This problem started before I installed it anyway. Two other issues I have noted recently is that my F8 key at startup does not work and my System Restore Points are disappearing. These may or may not be related.

I strongly expect this is a registry issue but have not found anything that can determine what is incorrect about the side-by-side configuration and what to do about it. Please let me know if there are other specific items to check or if you need any other information to help diagnose. A complete system restore is the last thing I want to do.

- Collapse -
A clue appears in your other reply.

The Nero issues remind me of the .NET follies. Here's my advice.

1. Remove all versions of .NET. I use the .NET REMOVAL TOOL (found with google.com)

And let me be clear here. I have yet to tank a system doing this because I can reinstall .NET versions as needed.

2. While it's a guess which .NET version is needed I find .NET 2.0 and 3.5 to suffice or today's apps.

Good luck and sorry to read IOBIT was involved.
Bob

- Collapse -
.NET

Thanks Bob. Again I assume you are referring to Microsoft .NET Framework but want to make sure. Over the past couple of weeks I have installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended in addition to numerous Microsoft Visual C++ programs and updates. If these are the .NETs you are referring to I can simply uninstall them and should be able to get and reinstall earlier versions from Microsoft Downloads. Would like to get confirmation this is what you had in mind.

I can't pin this on IObit. I just uninstalled it to see if the problem went away. Obviously it didn't.

- Collapse -
Yes. Microsoft .net framework.

About 4.0. What 4.0 app did you install to need that new framework?

Yes about uninstalling them. But sometimes I need to use a better uninstaller. Enter this one:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

This is my tool of choice to make absolutely sure that the old .net is wiped out. As we can install .net again and without any leftovers to interfere, this is how I tackle the .net issues.
Bob

- Collapse -
Uninstall Framework

4.0 was installed as instructed by my graphics card manufacturer (AMD). I have been having trouble getting their software to work and still do. As noted in my original post I do not consider myself an advanced user so the link you referred me to left me with several questions. As you are no doubt aware .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are all part of the Win 7 OS. As such, if I understand correctly, the Cleanup Tool will not offer to clean these up. It should work with .NET Framework 4.0 however I am concerned about the tool deleting shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework. Will I need to repair/re-install all other versions of the .NET Framework on my computer for them to work correctly? Also, if I use the tool, should I use the Silent Installation Mode or Unattended Installation Mode? By installing 4.0 have 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 been automatically updated to their current service packs? How can I tell and, if I uninstall 4.0, will that revert the others to their previous state? If so it looks like I should update 3.5 to 3.5 SP1 (thus updating 2.0 and 3.0 as well)? Is this done any differently than any other Microsoft update? Sorry for so many questions but my general rule of thumb on a computer, except case in point, if I do not know what adding , changing or deleting something does, I don't do it and honestly I don't know what function the various .NET Frameworks do.

As suggested by another post to my issue I attempted to repair 4.0. Although it indicated the repair was successful it did not solve the problem.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I used this tool on 7 to eject all that was 4.0 and reinstalled 4.0 without trouble. But that does not seem to help you here.

As to silent install or not, I don't use that. Why should I? That is, don't I want to see the messages? But this doesn't help you here. YOUR CHOICE ON THAT SETTING.

I know .net too well. I author .net apps on Windows and Windows Mobile and share the tool I use as well as how I reinstall but this doesn't seem to answer your questions. Maybe these questions are best handled by Microsoft?
Bob

- Collapse -
Uninstall Framework

Did not mean to imply in any way that you did not know what you were talking about. This is all Greek to me and I just wanted to be sure I would not irreparably harm my system. As for the Cleanup Tool setting I simply did not know what the differences were between them. I will go ahead and use the tool and advise the results.

- Collapse -
As far as .net and harm.

The only time it caused any trouble was when there was malware on the system. But that's not what we are writing here.

Sorry if it's all Greek but we are covering Windows and not a simple machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hopefully some knowledgeable person can help

I had the same problem using the same OS as you are using, that is I received the same error message. It turned out to be related to my AntiVirus software (Avast 5) I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it with no luck. So after uninstalling it the second time I installed AVG's newest AntiVirus software and have not had anymore problems relating to this issue. When I got this message in the top of the box was the following: "C:\Program Files\Awil Software\Avast 5\Avast UI.exe" This gave me the clue that I needed to uninstall AVAST or at least the problem was related to AVAST

- Collapse -
Antivirus / Message

Thanks for your post. I have been using Norton 360 antivirus for some time and have had no issues with it. No other antivirus programs are active. Below is a copy of the messages I am receiving from Event Viewer/Custom Views/Administrative Events and Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Applications. Please let me know if you need more information.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero ControlCenter 4\ncc.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis. (Event ID 33)

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis. (Event ID 35)

- Collapse -
First, take Bob's advice and uninstall .NET 4 ...

then take a look here at this link which should give you the guidance necessary for getting the most out of SXSTRACE.EXE

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive/2006/04/14/576314.aspx

Quite often when one uses a "Registry Cleaner" parts of the registry the cleaner's author doesn't fully understand get eliminated as being unnecessary and thus processes dependant upon another process loose the pointer to the process or the cleaner unregisters some necessary component.

Sometimes the SxS error is a result of a not fully compliant "older" application and the SxS errors go away upon upgrading to a new version of an application.

Also, try to use 64 bit applications and utilities if possible because you will find that the majority of the SxS errors are initiated by 32 bit apps.

CNET Forums