Computer Help forum

General discussion

SID NUMBER CREATED A PROBLEM

by asduskun / September 18, 2009 6:54 AM PDT

hi all,

i ve changed my computer s SID number by using a program and now when i try to start my pc i can t see the user account coming up before welcome screen so i can t not start my computer how can i solve this problem, i use XP and my desktop doesn t have cd or dvd rom, and i dont want to lose my data, please help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SID NUMBER CREATED A PROBLEM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SID NUMBER CREATED A PROBLEM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: changed sid number
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 7:13 AM PDT

- What is a SID number? Some suggestions in http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="sid+number"
- What program did you use? Where did that come from?
- Why did you want to change it?
- On my XP system I never can see the user accounts coming up BEFORE the welcome screen. They appear ON the welcome screen.
- It's better not to tell what happens NOT, but what DOES happen.
- If the PC doesn't have a CD-drive, how was Windows XP installed?
- Do you have a Windows XP CD or a System Recovery CD. Or any other way to reinstall the OS if necessary?

The (rather) sure way to not lose your data: get the hard disk out and store it on a safe place. Then find out how you can install Windows XP on a NEW hard disk.
But there are other ways if you have access to another PC to connect that hard disk to and copy all your data off to the hard disk of that PC or burn it to CD or DVD if that PC has a burner.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
changed sid number
by asduskun / September 18, 2009 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: changed sid number

ok i ll explain your questions firstly i wanted to install a cracked version of a software and so i changed the sid using a software called NewSID and xp was installed on this pc because i ve got it temporarily from the school for which my father works as my own pc was broken, as my department is computering i fixed this pc somehow as it was a mass, i put all the parts together but didn t get its cd rom, as this was that school s pc , xp was already installed, and yes as you say user accounts used to come up with the welcome screen but i see that blue welcome screen but not the user accounts i just see a statement saying "choose your user account" but there s no user accounts seen on this screen and i also see shut down but nothing else? what should i do now? I have an external hard disk can i use the xp installation files on that to repair my pc from usb?

Collapse -
Sorry, not much help.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: changed sid number

We don't encourage the installation of cracked software. And even if your problem isn't caused by that, it's related to your wish to install it. And, of course, changing a Windows installation on a machine you may use temporarily, isn't exactly recommended practice either.

If you can't solve your problem after booting in Safe Mode, it's back to the school and let them fix it.

Kees

Collapse -
SID NUMBER CREATED A PROBLEM
by asduskun / September 18, 2009 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, not much help.

thanks a lot but my hard disk can not help me about this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.