sick laptop needs cure

Name: Rhonda
Email: xxxxxxxxxxx
Found: Other
Brand: Dell
RAM: Unknown
CPU: Unknown
Type: Laptop
Question: I cant use my computer it comes up with Dll page faults, it pops up with cannot open because of 16 bit programs running, I have tried a floppy down loaded from this good running pc ,it still dont work, I did scan reg fix and restore,it finds no errors but wont boot up with Icons so I can work with it , some rare times it does boot up and I found its used about 75% of its drive space, in the add remove control panel but I dont know which ones will saftly br removed like aol aol messanger msn msn messanger and dial up winfax , there are hundreds of them but I dont know how to get my drive space back and get rid of the Dll32 page fault I tried to get the PWL files to remove there isnt any in there, please help and the other problem is my cd rom disk dont work, so I must fix everthing through my floppy if I can and through the system itself in the computer when I can get the Icons up on the desk top. please help

[Edited by: Lee (Admin) to remove user's email address in post]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sick laptop needs cure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sick laptop needs cure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow...

In reply to: sick laptop needs cure

1. floppy loaded with what? you "downloaded" it?
2. "hundreds" in add\remove programs?
3. pwl is passwords.
4. "cd rom disk wont work".
4.a. does the tray open?
4.b. what happens when you put in a cd?.
5. Can you get into Safe Mode?
6. what model Dell?; ram and cpu are often displayed at boot, before Windows loads, unless "setup" has "quiet boot". Tap Delete key at boot to get into "setup".

Collapse -
Sick laptop needs treatment with restore CD.

In reply to: sick laptop needs cure

Do you have it? Then have the CD repaired first. I don't see any future in you trying to fix this while only having a floppy drive, frankly speaking.

If the repair (combined with the price of a restore CD if needed) is more costly than the machine is worth at the moment, better buy another one, maybe.

Kees

Collapse -
laptop needs help or replace

In reply to: Sick laptop needs treatment with restore CD.

can I download a windows 98se disk from my ood pc to my sick laptop throught the USB port with a cable>? Note* My system on my good PC is Just win(98)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't think that will work.

In reply to: laptop needs help or replace

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.