PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Sick Compaq Presario

by garynorman / August 15, 2004 11:56 PM PDT

Compaq Presario 5000- circa 2000 1GB processor, 256 mb RAM, Windows upgraded from ME to 2000. CD/DVD/floppy with 40 GB hardrive. Locks when in operation/stalls during power up/does not complete boot cycle, but will after repeated tries.

Per earlier advice, I have upgraded windows from ME to 2000 and have run spybot and eliminated all but three spyware references; when u save/Cydoor/dyfuca. I have also run with case open to eliminate overheating - heat is not an issue.

Last night alerted to virus infection (I am using alternate computer to send this)trojan.chost which I quarantined with Norton. (May be engrained in Spybot fix it utility and innoculation)

Upgraded windows to 2000 due to multiple crashes. Computer worked well for few days-now locks intermittently when accessing any program. Ran Spybot to clean spyware. Worked better but still locks.

When restarting with power button after lock, computer will run boot sequence to DVD and CD but often will not ping the floppy in the sequence and stall. After multiple off/on with power button it will eventually complete boot cycle to floppy and start normally, only to lock up again while being used.

Looking for a solution - is it the power supply, hard drive, the CMOS battery, bad RAM etc. I am not certain anymore it is software related.

Suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sick Compaq Presario
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sick Compaq Presario
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sick Compaq Presario
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sick Compaq Presario

Try this simple test. Pull the case cover and see if the lockups subside.

Why it matters. At some 2000 year model most will have never been dusted out and may have clogged or stopped cooling fans. I can safely bet that any manual with the machine doesn't cover such simple maintenance.

Bob

Collapse -
by garynorman / August 16, 2004 12:11 AM PDT

Hi Bob-

You helped me with this one earlier in July - I have pulled the case cover, dusted and heat is not an issue. See the whole post - I am beginning to think my issues are hardware related...

Collapse -
Locks when in operation/stalls during power up...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 12:31 AM PDT

That is a sign of hardware ills.

There are three repeating areas that I find here. Yes there are more, but let's start with most common.

1. The power supply isn't what it used to be.

Time is unkind to power supplies and they will age and lose capacity. I've found that while I can unplug the CD/DVD drives and retest, such drives can also be a cause of the issue. In the shop, tech will just fit a new supply and if that cures it, then it's buttoned up.

2. Other failing parts.

This area includs video cards, CD/DVD drives and such but one needs a clue to decide which it could be. A spare is fitted and tests continue.

3. The bad problem. Motherboard. Bad Capacitors.

This one hit many makers. Visual inspection is easy. Here's an article with what to look for -> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

Bob

Collapse -
by Willy / August 16, 2004 1:46 AM PDT

Older systems can exhibit soem strange behavior either from age or corrupt h/w. I would look at the power supply for now as repeated power on/offs get it to work. Find a larger wattage p/s unit if possible that fits and take it from there. Clean the innards as best as possible(blow it out) and then check results. If you haven't yet do a back-up to save any data while you can. Compaq never got it right on the p/s side for years they seem to "enginneer" just what they need for the orginal product sold, and when you add on to it, it tends to downgrade the p/s, thus later models always have a larger p/s as std. eqiupment but only agin for what's the new product offered. At least that's where I would start.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.