Computer Help forum

General discussion

Shut down problems

I have a 4 year old IBM netvista running Windows ME, has a 850 mHz AMD duron chip, has 192 ram. About 3 months ago I started to experience shut down problems. Before this it was perfect. I have found out that if I disconnect my light speed cable internet hook up (from Shaw) and then shut down the computer will stay shut down. If I do not do this then 80% of the time the computer will shut down but then start up again anywhere from 1 - 10 minutes later. I have Norton anti virus 2002 which is updated. In the last three months or so the following has also been done to my computer.
1. Installed zone alarm and removed spyware/adware using spybot.
2. Had a new ether-net card installed
Does anyone have any idea why my computer is acting so strangely?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shut down problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shut down problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Shut down problems

In reply to: Shut down problems

Collapse -
Doesn't sound like a shutdown problem

In reply to: Shut down problems

to this writer. More like a power management setting in the BIOS, maybe Wake on LAN or the equivalent is set.

Go into the power management section of the BIOS and set power mgt to user define and then do not define any automatic restart or turn on options.

The fact that it stays off when the ISP connection is removed sounds like a big clue.

Collapse -
Re: Doesn't sound like a shutdown problem

In reply to: Doesn't sound like a shutdown problem

Thanks for replying. What do you mean by "BIOS", "Wake", and "Lan"? By the way, another thing I did to my computer in the last couple of months is run msconfig and then uncheck a bunch of boxes in the startup section. Could I have unchecked on of the boxes that is somehow tied into the shutdown process?

Collapse -
Re: Doesn't sound like a shutdown problem

In reply to: Re: Doesn't sound like a shutdown problem

your bios is a chip on your motherboard that is like a seperate operating system for your hardware. The correct tech term is not bios but, "Firmware". You should see a setup to go into the bios at startup unless your Pc is starting too fast to see it. The normal keys to hold down to access your bios are... the F1 or F2 keys or the delete key. once you get in find the power management tab and navigate to it. By wake he meant there is a choice to set your network card to wake up. Network cards are also called lan or nic cards. anyway go and check to see if your card is set to wake. If it is change it if you want then hit f10 to save the new settings. Skip

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!