Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

shut down problem

by raven6 / July 21, 2004 10:33 PM PDT

When I'm downloading torrents from the web and want to shut down my machine it won't disconnect from the net or shut down which means I have to press reset and then shut down after restart. Tried reinstalling windows xp pro from scratch and also all drivers & software. Also tried different torrent downloaders Even changed my motherboard and various components to no avail. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: shut down problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: shut down problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shut down article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2004 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: shut down problem

It's just two clicks to the XP Shutdown Article off of

But my guess is that you don't realize that Microsoft doesn't install for you the drivers for your motherboard. It's not listed in your post. You also neglected the Forum Tip and didn't reveal the make/model of the machine. AMD based setups are very rough on first time OS installers. I can drop hints till you get a Macintosh, but if you don't install the motherboard driver package, then hangs will happen.

Same story about PARASITES. There are many that get "Kazaa'd" and these can't be helped. You can only wait for them to get burned multiple times.

Collapse -
Re: Shut down article.
by red_death / July 22, 2004 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Shut down article.

"Same story about PARASITES. There are many that get "Kazaa'd" and these can't be helped."

I would tend to believe that your problem may be "spyware,maleware etc." there are a host of names for these evil programs that will almsot always find there way in to your computer.

These programs were designed to sit in your computer and record information about your surfing habbits, this information is then sent back to its creator to assist them in marketing.
These programs could even go as far as recording personal information such as credit card numbers.

The reason why your computer will not shut down is probibly because these programs are still running or sending/recieving information on your computer and windows does not know how to shut them down.

These programs are hard to prevent but fairly easy to remove before any real damage is done.

First here are two links for the best (imo) spyware removial programs that are offered free.

this is for adaware 6 very user friendly just make sure
you get the updates and read how to use it.

this is for spybot not as user friendly but very powerful once you master it.

here is a very informative article on how the spyware came to be on your computer:

As a last resort I would suggest downloading "hijack this" 1.98. Install the program, run the program, hit the scan button

after hitting the scan button next save the log file. Post your log file on:
and the experts there will assist you in removing your problem.

Good luck!
There is an alarming rise in the amount of spyware problems! learn how to fix it now!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?