Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Shut down problem

by bcook0408 / June 30, 2004 9:37 AM PDT

I am the administrator of the computer running windows xp. The problem is that on the last 2 times my wife has used her logon when she is done she can't shut down the computer. I run Mcaffee and Ad aware scans every night and rarely come up with anything. About the only new thing on the computer is I started using Kazaa lite last week. This is not installed on her logon, but she seems to be the only one with the problem. Please help
brad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shut down problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shut down problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Shut down problem
by scott9 / June 30, 2004 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Shut down problem

Kazaa Lite is still not absolutely
safe from viruses, etc. Are you running updated
spyware removal programs regularly (Spybot, Adaware,
Norton, or AVG)? Be sure your system is free of
parasites. Sometimes, a problem such as this can be
corrected by running system restore, providing you
don't mind losing any programs you may have installed
in between. Scott9

Collapse -
Re: Shut down problem . System restore worked !!
by bcook0408 / July 1, 2004 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Shut down problem

Thank you for your reply. I had considered system restore, but I have been very happy with the advice in this column. It is just great for people like me whose last computer was an IBM 128 that I did'nt know how to work either. I run a Mcaffee virus scan and Adawre every night. Should I double up with other (preferably free) programs ?
Thanks again for your help!!!
Brad

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 30, 2004 11:11 PM PDT

1. The article [Q286350] discusses Autodump+ (ADPlus.vbs) a new tool from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) that can troubleshoot any process or application that stops responding (hangs) or fails (crashes) and is a console-based Microsoft Visual Basic script.

2. The article [Q314834] documents the method for clearing the Windows paging file (Pagefile.sys) during the shutdown process so that no unsecured data such as a password is contained in the paging file when the shutdown process is complete. Although clearing the paging file is not a suitable substitute for physical security of a computer, you might want to do this to increase the security of data on a computer while Windows is not running. In addition, enabling this feature may increase shutdown time.

3. Please note that when the "by design" Security Policy Setting "Clear virtual memory pagefile" (click to see an example screenshot) is enabled, the computer may take longer to shut down than normally. This behavior occurs because the computer must physically write to each page in the pagefile to clear each page -- the period of time that it will take varies according to the pagefile size, and the disk hardware involved.

4. "Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting."
In a nut shell, healthy computers owners are being betrayed simply because a Kazaa file-sharing network user can unknowingly spread infections wherever s/he goes.

5. ZDNet's article "Downloads are forever."

6. A Microsoft overview of "P2P" - Peer-to-Peer Networking Component program(s) and the "Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows Peer-to-Peer Platform."

7. A wormy story from "Symantec."

8. for further pleasurable reading (search for Kazaa on) at the "Adware, Spyware and other unwanted "malware" - and how to remove them" forum.

Collapse -
by ereedks / July 1, 2004 11:25 PM PDT

As a network administrator, I must say this. GET RID OF KAZAA!! #1, Kazaa Lite itself IS loaded with spyware. #2, File sharing programs are also virus sharing programs. We don't allow anyone to install Kazaa on our network, period. #3, I hate to tell you, but McAfee is not a good choice for anti-viruses. Norton sucks, and it's got McAfee beat! Of all the computers I've had to repair due to viruses, most were protected by either no AV at all or a "free" one, next McAfee, followed by Norton. Don't expect McAfee to catch "all" viruses, you are lucky if it detects "most". Finally, #4, Security should be your main concern and top priority. Think about what you are opening yourself up to. Is it worth the risk?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!