Desktops forum

Alert

Shut down computer for updates, computer wont start up D:

by Kiraush / June 4, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

I was playing a few games on my XPS 625 and when I went to start up MSN I noticed my computer had the symbol where my shutdown button usually is that said it needed to shut down for updates, needing to go to the store I clicked it and headed to the store.
When I came back my computer was off, as expected, but when I turn it on my screens do not unhybernate and my mouse doesn't light up, my computer runs for about 10-20 seconds and then it starts beeping 6 times in quick succession and then it stays quiet for about a second and then repeats, I took out the CMOS battery for about a minute or two and put it back in, as well as taking out many of the parts and air-canning out as much dust as I could and it continues to beep when I start it up, any ideas how I may fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shut down computer for updates, computer wont start up D:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shut down computer for updates, computer wont start up D:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Beeps
by pgc3 / June 5, 2012 3:38 AM PDT

Normally when you get beeps it could be an indication of a hardware malfunction, it could be a memory chip has gone south or even a keyboard failure, it can vary with manufacturer(s). The first thing I'd try would be trying memory chip removal, depending of course of how many chips you are running, removing and replacing one at a time. Of course do not do the removal replacement(s) with the system running under power. I mentioned keyboard because sometime back I ran into a Dell desktop with a beeping issue and it turned out to be a bad keyboard, which is very rare and took me totally by surprise.

Collapse -
Re-Shut down computer for updates, computer wont start up
by RajeshSDell / June 11, 2012 1:34 AM PDT

Hi Kiraush,
My name is Rajesh and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Six beep codes on the system indicates that its a video BIOS Test failure.Release the flea power from the system after disconnecting the external devices. Try reseatting the video card and try to boot the system with one single memory, If possible try with different memory sticks to see which one will it boot with as it can also be an issue with the memory.

Regards
Dell-Rajesh S.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!