Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

shut down

by seademyer / September 2, 2004 3:28 AM PDT

I am trying to add windows 2000 pro to a win98se computer and am having a number of issues getting the os to work. Right now trying to either restart or shutdown from 2000 I get the window showing shut down. It clears leaving a blank blue screen with only a mouse pointer showing. There it hangs. Computer reboots etc ok in safe mode and in win98. I tried the msconfig trick that I use with win98 to selectively uncheck some start up programs except 2000 does not recognize the command. What I would appreciate,in addition to suggestions on the shut down problem, is a listing of some of the commands useable from the run window. So far regedit and sysedit work. Sfc does nothing and I can not delete it. Msconfig, windows cannot find nor can it find winipcfg. Haven't tried any thing else.

Thanks Chaz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: shut down
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: shut down

MSCONFIG is not supplied with 2000 Pro. I use STARTER (search these forums).

What I don't read in your post is a note about if you finished the 2000 install with the drivers for the machine. Microsoft doesn't supply them.

Bob

Collapse -
by seademyer / September 9, 2004 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: shut down

Apparently the problem is in the last place that I would have expected it and I only tried that course after complete frustration. I disabled GoBack. And shut down/re-start has worked ok, since. GoBack 3.0 had been installed from a new disk from Norton and was supposed to be compatible with win2000. Actually GoBack's operation has no problems, except the d***n computer refuses to complete a shut down.

A few days ago, I located and downloaded a workable copy of msconfig for win2k on the internet, installed it, and have worked the devil out of it. Once, I was convinced that my AV prog was at fault. That lasted about 2 minutes and at the peak of my "unchecking", I had EVERYTHING unchecked. Shut down did occur once in a while, just often enough to think that I had found maybe two or more problem prog's. SO!

Now, where do I go from here? Charley

Collapse -
Re: shut down with GoBack.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2004 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: shut down

You'll have to see if they updated GoBack. I have no cure.

Bob

Collapse -
by seademyer / September 10, 2004 5:48 AM PDT

I wish that when one buys a program that they would tell you up front that getting help could be a hastle, if not near impossible.

Norton GoBack has an upgrade, 8.7mbs, gdb_v321b106-usa.update.exe, which I downloaded this morning and ran. To install the upgrade you need to remove the current version of GoBack and open the above exe file. Now the problem begins. Installation will only install the trial version, unless a license key is entered. I found out a few minutes ago that the "paid for disk" didn't require a key as that field has been grayed out and the older version installs ok. I have searched the house over and can not find any info about a license key and I am a keeper of empty boxes, manuals, disks, etc. since I started with a Commodore 64. The disk must have arrived in a plain brown envelope. I can't find an address. The telephone help is a $29.95 charge per incident, which I would like to avoid. I love what computers can do, but when they don't I feel like going balistic. Help! Chuck

Collapse -
by seademyer / September 13, 2004 1:18 AM PDT

Bob, I re-read the beginning of my last post and it should have been written as follows: I wish that when one buys a program that they would tell you up front that getting help (FROM THE COMPANY, SUCH AS SYMANTEC, COREL, HP, NETSCAPE, ETC) could be a hastle, if not near impossible. I did not at all mean it to be the forum. I'm sorry for the stupid composure of the original.

Chuck

Collapse -
Look at the thumbs up/down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2004 1:43 AM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/Norton_GoBack_3_0/4852-3682_7-30628595.html&tag=top

That's a clue that something is a "miss" with this software. I think the 60/40 ratings shows that this software is in dire trouble. It's unlikely a member will be happy.

Gread idea. Used to work fine, but time is unkind to software makers that don't keep up or fix bugs. Symantec had a bug in Systemworks for 4 years with Windows ME, but never fixed it. My outlook for Symantec is that they are resting on past laurels.

A new factor is that customers are not spending bucks for software like goback. This is simple to understand since System Restore "sort of works" in Windows XP. So that leaves GoBack in a declining market. Symantec has, in my opinion became a simple marketing company with fewer brains where it counts. The Antivirus is their golden cow and that is where their focus is. If you have an issue with any of their products, engineers are unlikely to work on it because.... it's not going to make a profit.

I'd start looking to ask for a refund and start shopping for other solutions.

Bob
Collapse -
Re: Look at the thumbs up/down.
by seademyer / September 13, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

Thank you. There are now 11 comments in the (thumbs up/thumbs down) area.
I have heard several complaints about Norton products. For me, I canned Clean Sweep after a week and installed only a few of the System Works offerings. That area too has been a trouble maker. Frankly, I would not recommend any of the current Norton products. CA and AVG each have good AV progs.and CA is reasonable costs and AVG is free.

Thanks again. Chuck

Collapse -
by seademyer / September 22, 2004 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: shut down

I sent an email to Symantec's tech support and their answer can be summed up in the following 3 exerpts from their somewhat longer answer:
(1).Symantec's Consumer products are not supported on multiple-boot configurations...
(2).Also, there could be technical issue in the Norton program...
(3).You can view your Technical Support options on our Service and Support Webpage...

Which was where I had started. (???)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?