Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Shut down

by bnj073 / March 15, 2009 7:36 PM PDT

Mark Flaxman
I'm running Genuine Advantage Kit For XP Pro.My mother paid Microsoft $180.00 for this,direct from Microsoft.She gave it to me as an early birthday gift before she passed of cancer,2008.Knowing I'm disabled and on a low fixed monthly income and could'nt afford to buy it myself.
The disk is purpleihs/maroom in color.When you move it in the light,it says,"Genuine Microsoft",in a number of places.It also says,"Not For Resale".I've been told it cannot be bought from any store like,Best Buy or Target,or anyplace except from Microsoft.If you need to see a picture of the actual disk,send me an email address and i'll send you a picture.
When I formated and installed it on my hard drive,I had no choice but to call Microsoft to get it activated.I called the activation center and read the activation code to the computer and got the message I was being transfered to an activation tech.When I read the activation code to the activation tech,she said she could'nt activate it because it was purchased from Microsoft.She put me on hold and a Microsoft Senior Tech came on and got the activation code from me and then ask for the serial number from the disk,I gave it to him.Then he ask for the part number from the center of the disk and I gave it to him.Then he ask for the numbers and letters encripted in the reflective in the face of the disk and I gave them to him.He then read the first 2 series of the product key to me,then had me finish it from the coa that came with the disk,,just to varify that it was original.Since this is purchased direct from Microsoft,the product key cannot be changed to activate.Then he gave me the activation code so it would activate.Then he took my name,address,telephone number,email address,and my ip address from my computer.
This operating system is registered at Microsoft to me and only me.
I belong to a p2p network which a membership has to be purchased.
I also have a file in My Music file that contains backup licenses,including a $30.00 license I bought from MGM for movie downloads.If someone gets into my queye for a download,i'll browse them.I had better see a back up for a license or I put them on ignore.I don't care if the music is copywrited or not.No license backup,,,no download.At this site,we mostly share firmware,software,drivers,hard to find drivers.........
I did'nt think it nessessary to go into a total history about the p2p site or my operating system,since they don't have anything to do with my question.
I don't have a wireless modem,I have a wireless transciever.I hold an Extra Class Amatuer Radio License.I also hold a MROP,and a GROL.I'm also an Examiner for the Federal Communications Commission for Amatuer Radio and the GROL.
So,before you try to get into the freqencies of wireless,,,I have privlidges from my license classes on some of the freqencies that wireless transmits and recieves on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Genuine Advantage Kit for XP Pro
by bnj073 / March 15, 2009 8:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Shut down

By the way Mark,I never said my computer was a gift,I said my operating system was a gift.You stated my computer was a gift,not me.
I built this computer 3 years ago.I also bought my Lap Top,with XP Home installed on it.

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2009 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Shut down

Maybe this post belongs in some other forum.

Also, why not just say I run XP SP3 or such and not open the discussion about that pirate version of XP out on P2P land? You could have shared "Just the facts" and not had any issue or tripped a trigger to lock a discussion.

Your choice here but you can't imagine the long discussions and then we discover they are runnng TinyXP or some other pirate copy and that means it's game over. We can't discuss those and besides most of those are altered to the point you never know if it should work.

If you feel entitled to some support, take it to those that owe you such but here we're just people like you and have the forum policies to guide us. I think I can speak for the moderators that having such a low bar helps to avoid what you see on other boards where they allow such.

So, just the facts. Forget trying to justify your ownership of the OS. It's not what you want to discuss. Or is it?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: confused
by Kees Bakker / March 15, 2009 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.
Collapse -
I tried
by bnj073 / March 15, 2009 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.

I did try to address my issue with my wireless problem.Mark was the one that locked it down,claiming my OS was piracy and my computer was a gift.I've still got the problem with my wireless connection.It should'nt have anything to do with my OS or the P2P network I've paid for,along with the licenses for the musics and movies i've also paid for.
Downloading only,my wireless works great,uploading only,my wireless works great.But,when I try to download and upload at the same time,my wireless stops.It says I'm still connected at 54MBPS,but I have to reboot to get a brouser up again.I don't have the problem with DSL.
All I wanted to know is,is there a setting I can change somewhere so I can dl and ul at the same time.Or DL at the same time I'm using my brouser.

Collapse -
If there is a lesson to be learned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2009 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried

P2P use over wifi shows all the quirks and flaws in every software and hardware involved.

-> BOTTOM LINE? LESSSON LEARNED? Get wired.

Feel free to complain about the issue but the lesson has been learned.

->>>> Will sharing the lesson results suffice?
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2009 11:44 PM PDT

My reply here was hard to craft. Why? The ISSUE is muted by all the non-essential content about license and more. I'll say it again. "Just the facts."

Collapse -
you're right
by bnj073 / March 15, 2009 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: PS.

I've read so many things latley about bypassing.my wireless is 4x faster than my dsl.I just thought.....my ADSL is just fine,i'll use the wireless on my lap top when traveling for emails,or dl's.let's end this with no hard feelings towards anyone.Have a nice day.Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!