Cameras forum

General discussion

Showing digital camera pictures on TV

by willffi / January 30, 2009 11:54 AM PST

My NEC TV model FS-6802 Video In system is NTSC. Video out on my camera is also set NTSC , but photos on TV show in black and white. When I change video out on my camera to PAL, I get colour but the colours are wrong and the photos are fuzzy. Is there a remedy?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Showing digital camera pictures on TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Showing digital camera pictures on TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Camera on TV
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 11:46 PM PST

I can find no useful information on a NEC FS-6802 television.

What digital camera are you connecting to the TV (camera make and model)?
How are you connecting to the television?
...AV with RCA connectors, S-video, HDMI, component

Is the television a flat panel TV (if so ... plasma or LCD), or is it a CRT screen.
Does the television have digital or analog tuners, or both?

Collapse -
digital camera on TV
by willffi / January 31, 2009 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Camera on TV

TV is some years old. not flat LCD or Plasma. Tuning is analog but I have digital top box. Camera is KODAK DX4330, and transfer is by RCA type connectors which came with camera. Thanks for your interest.

Collapse -
Camera to TV
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: digital camera on TV

The Kodak DX4330 was introduced in 2002, I am surprised that you have not tried connecting the camera to your TV before this.

Make sure that you have new or newly recharged batteries installed in the camera.

To make sure that it is connected properly:

Disconnect the Digital converter box from the television.
Your camera should have a cable with one yellow connector (video) and another connector (audio).

Some televisions have a set of component inputs (RCA type) that are color coded red, blue and green.
Do not connect to any of those.

Connect the yellow connector from the camera to a yellow video connector on the back of the television.
If you are in the USA set the camera to NTSC.
If you are in Europe, UK or Australia set the camera to PAL
If you are in another place, go to this website to see what setting you should use:
http://shop.sandbag.uk.com/OneGiantLeap/PALNTSCInfo.html

Now set the television to see the inputs you are using.
Set the camera to show the images.
If the pictures are not good, you now have to find out if the problem is the camera or the television.

The only way to do this is to connect the camera to a different television set.

Collapse -
Camera to TV
by willffi / January 31, 2009 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: Camera to TV

Thanks for your reply. I have only had the camera for about a year and have been content to transfer and show my photos on computer. The TV video input is NTSC, but the options are PAL and Auto. I have changed this to Auto which with the camera set to PAL gives the best colour. However the photos come up fuzzy and then come into focus. I will try showing my photos on another TV but this may take a few days to arrange.
In the meantime if you have any further advice I would be pleased to hear from you.

Collapse -
Options PAL and Auto
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 11:21 PM PST

That does not agree with the User Manual for that camera.

On page 52, it shows that the setting is either PAL or NTSC.

Collapse -
PAL and Auto
by willffi / February 1, 2009 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Options PAL and Auto

The video input on the TV I have set to Auto but the camera I have set to PAL. On reflection I would say the photos are blurry,rather than fuzzy, before they come into focus. Can this be remedied?

Collapse -
NTSC
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: PAL and Auto

If you are in the USA, your television can not be set to PAL.
All televisions sold in the USA are NTSC only.

If you are in the USA, your camera needs to be set to NTSC.

Collapse -
NTSC
by willffi / February 1, 2009 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: NTSC

I am in Australia

Collapse -
Maybe....
by Papa Echo / February 1, 2009 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: NTSC

..on your TV, the "AV" channel needs fine tuning....

Collapse -
If they eventually come into focus with color,
by Kiddpeat / February 2, 2009 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: PAL and Auto

everything is working. I suspect the lag cannot be removed. The image is probably being sent progressively, and it takes time to build the full resolution TV image.

Collapse -
gradual build fuzzy to "sharp"
by dpotter / February 2, 2009 8:37 PM PST

In my experience the gradual build is perfectly normal. I am not sure why this happens but after all you are sending a picture with many more pixels than the TV can display. I just wish I could find a way to get it to send all the pixels that can be displayed -- pics are never as sharp on the TV as are HD pics from other sources...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?