The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Show Notes 270

by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / July 17, 2006 5:29 AM PDT

Episode 270

Software turns Google into virus scanner (via slashdot)

HP announces metadata for physical objects

RFID passports coming to US (thanks Peterjon!)

Virus leaps to smart radio tags

Indian government blocking blogs

News clips for sale on DVD. Huh? (via slashdot)

UK wants G8 summit to deal with

Broadband growth slowing down

UK to get FM transmitters for iPod; get ready for frustration!

Clark in North Carolina
I too am in the service industry. I'm a plumber. I do some network technician/admin stuff too. Since I discoverd the Internet is tubes, I've been able to combine my two trades by clearing networks with my plumbing tools. I'm going to be taking over the world probably. When I do I'll buy Veronica all the gadgets she wants.

Shalim from Houston
I work in the space industry in Houston. The inflatable space station idea is an old technology. It's the first tie they put it up in orbit. It was a Russian rocket but not a Russian company. It's made of kevlar so it's actually better than current space station.
--Also request Molly refrain from saying blow-up and space station in the same sentence.

Inflatable space station to become hotel?

Why batteries explode - Robert C. in Canada

The reason that the batteries used in laptops are catching fire is quite elementary my dead BOL Crew...

They are LiIon (Lithium Ion) and Lithium, like magnesium, when it gets hot enough reacts with Oxygen creating a powerful exothermic reaction. Think of physically pushing a heavy box on the ground. first you have to beat the force of friction and then the box moves freely. When Lithium and Oxygen are together, all you need is enough heat to trigger the reaction and then the lithium burns very hot and bright.

Many of these battery packs that are failing have cracks holes or other imperfections that allow the oxygen in. then all it needs is our Uberpowerful CPUs to set them off.

Scott - Smell the podcast or Careful what you wish for

On your Wednesday, July 12, 2006 podcast, Veronica mentioned having the food smell in the studio, mmm Bacon (referred to as smellvertising). As Tom suggested that smell should be added to the podcast, now it might be technologically possible if Japanese researchers have their way with the Odor Recorder?

Dave the Psychologist - Gameplay isn't really OCD

Calling gameplaying obsevvice compulsive behaviour is not realy correct.
Most psychologists, especially psychopharmacologists talk about how drugs activate the brain's reward system, the mesolimbic dopamine system. This system is activated when you drink coffee, eat a good meal, smoke a cigarette, laugh at a joe or take heroin. So that is where reinforcement comes in. If few things in one's life are rewarding, or some behaviour becomes much more rewarding than say spending time with your family, and then casues problems we can talk about addiction. (The same is true for say alcohol). So in essence the 'addiction' (which is a term I hate, but I can save that for another email) is no different than the addiction to heroin, except that the acetyl morphine molecule that binds toa receptor in your accumbens (part of that reward system) operates the system directly, while pwning n00bs at Halo 2 does it more indirectly.

Dave the psychologist.

Ben's Windows Haikus

Your file was so big.
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.

The Web site you seek
Cannot be located, but
Countless more exist.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

Program aborting:
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask far too much.

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Stay the patient course.
Of little worth is your ire.
The network is down.

A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.

Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Show Notes 270
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Show Notes 270
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What, no Remy? ;-)
by jerry128 / July 17, 2006 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Show Notes 270
Collapse -
Lithium Fire - Why
by null--- / July 17, 2006 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Show Notes 270

With lithium cells, there is always the risk of fire which can result from shorting, improper charging or crash damage to the batteries. And because a lithium battery fire is very hot (several thousand degrees) it often starts other fires which can result in burning down the house!

Now the reason fire occurs is due to contact between the lithium and oxygen in the air. It doesn?t need any other source of ignition or fuel to start, and burns almost explosively.

From -

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?