Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"show hidden files and folders" check problem

Hi, I have a problem with Windows XP when setting folder options. When I choose tools -> folder options -> view, then I checked "Show hidden files and folders " radio box, then Apply button and Ok. When I open the same window again it shows that "Show hidden files and folders"radio box is unchecked. I coluldn't check it anyway. The same problem occurs, When I try it XP in safemode with administrator user. What can be the problem? Anyone faced with the same problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "show hidden files and folders" check problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "show hidden files and folders" check problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you an Administrator?

In reply to: "show hidden files and folders" check problem

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

It may be that you need to be logged in as an Admin to see the hidden files.

Mark

Collapse -
Admin folder

In reply to: Are you an Administrator?

Probably you right

Collapse -
hidden files

In reply to: Are you an Administrator?

Thx i did what you said and it works!!

Collapse -
show hidden folders and files option

The show hidden folders and files option is a temporary view setting and operational only for the time the folders are open. Since is is dangerous to make changes to these folders or files, windows reverts them to a hide status automatically when you leave the folder. This is true even if you are the administrator. Windows way of "keeping you out of trouble". We really shouldn't be fooling with critical system files unless we really know what we are doing.

Collapse -
Re: show hidden folders and files option

In reply to: show hidden folders and files option

glennlee, "The show hidden folders and files option is a temporary view setting and operational only for the time the folders are open."

It's not a temporary view setting. If one has it set in Folder Options to Show hidden Files and folders it should stay that way and one should be able to view those files and folders even after a restart. Thae same applies to Hide protected operating system files.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
hidden file not showing on my document at all.

In reply to: show hidden folders and files option

I hide some folder in my document anb\d i have gone to the view menu to click show all hidden file and folder, but unfortunately noting is showing in my document pls kindly assist me. xp os system service pack 2

Collapse -
(NT) How did you hide it?

In reply to: hidden file not showing on my document at all.

Collapse -
Autorun.info

In reply to: hidden file not showing on my document at all.

Well it's not about windows or user .. this is a trojan called auto run.exe if you want to get ride of it you have to download norton securty ceneter 2009 or upper and you have to scan with it after finish scan you can check on the show hidden files folder
I just fixed it right now
there's another step u have to fix drive issue .

Collapse -
think you need to fix the registry

Be aware that you actually may be infected by a virus, or maybe you once was, and the registry didnt get proberly restored.

You should open the registry, but remember to back it up. You can make a restore point in system restore, or just open the registry and export the whole thing, or export some selected keys.

Start >> Run >> (type) regedit >> (rightclick on the little my computer icon, and export the whole thing.)

find this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. Go to the rightside of the window, where the values are. Find the value "Hidden" . Rightclick it and modify it to 1.

This next text is from my own registry. Kopy it to notepad, then rename the notepad file, so it have the extension .reg ,and then doubleclick it.:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden]
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30499"
"Type"="group"
"Bitmap"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,\
48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,34,00,00,\
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51131"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30501"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000002
"ValueName"="Hidden"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51104"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30500"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"ValueName"="Hidden"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51105"

You can also try to Start >> run >> (type) sfc /scannow
Or try to search for help on some tweak-forums.
Or ultimately a repair operation.
Remember the threat of a possible virus. I read about one called W32 that did something with the above mentioned registry-keys.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you mate.

In reply to: think you need to fix the registry

I had the similar problem was infected with Worm/VB.AIF seems to be custom-made in VB. Even though got rid of it and fixed the registry tweak you gave. But i have one problem left and that is when i try to open any storage drives (HDD), i get the open-with window which asks to open with which app. If you know how to get rid of this problem please reply....Thanx....

Collapse -
App Window in opening a Hard Drive

In reply to: Thank you mate.

You probably had this solvd by now, but anyway, I?ve been hit by w32.Rajump lately and did the same thing, pointing me to the ?choose the application to open a hard drive!?

In my case, I tweakd ?Mountpoints2? in the windows registry and deleted all the ?Auto Run? shells pointing to the defunct virus file Ravmon.exe. Then I had to manually delete the hidden AutoRun.inf file in the root directory by changing its attrib in DOS.

Thanks for the help in showing those hidden files.

Collapse -
Probably a Virus

In reply to: Thank you mate.

Your problem sound very similar to mine. I suspect its a virus. Has anyone got any idea what kind of a virus could it be?

Collapse -
hidden files in windows xp

hello i have windows xp sp1 installed in my computer 2 days ago i attach flash drive with my computer in flash drive i have some data of other computer i want copy it but before i do it suddenly my hidden files gone hidden forever .i have refresh my window but it doesnt work plz help me how can i see my hidden files and folders now
i also tried from tools menu but didnt work .help me how i can remove if any virus is in my computer and which software i can do this to see my hidden folder.

Collapse -
hidden folders

sir i have problem fom 2 days two days ago i attach flash drive to my computer and sudden that time my all hidden files and folder gone to forever hidden .now i cannt see my hidden data .i dont know is any virus attack on my compter. how can i solve this problem to see my hidden dats. from that day this file is copied in my all drives it dont delete .the file is { ravmon.exe }.

Collapse -
Re: hidden folders

In reply to: hidden folders

Collapse -
Hidden folders and Stinger

In reply to: Re: hidden folders

well..i got myself a virus which hsa basicaly taken away all my permisions, im the admin,but i only use "ADMINISTRATOR" when i need to, i can go to windows explorer, i can go tools, but i only get 3 options
(Map network drive, disconect network drive and syncronize) i used t have hidden fles on view, but they have been turned off fr my user, also every now and then internet explorer seems toopen itself and try to get me to do some weird quiz..and as for the stinger thingo, it finds 2 virus (one in C:\Windows\System32\Winlogon.exe) (the other in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\dydp.tmp\svchost.exe)
it wont repair them ad i get no reason, i tried to turn off my system restore, but the option isnt there, half the stuff my user could do, is now GONE! and AVG (fully updated and working) and Stinger arnt doing a thing!any help?i relly dont wanna reformat.....

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: Re: hidden folders

I hide some folder in my document anb\d i have gone to the view menu to click show all hidden file and folder, but unfortunately noting is showing in my document pls kindly assist me. xp os system service pack 2!car gps nav

Collapse -
nokia 3310 mobile

sir i have nokia 3310 mobile few days ago my mobile set is not working its seems as that it is hang dengerously it show me the following message when i turn on my moblie { contect service }
plz help me in solving this problem and write full method that how can i remove this .

Collapse -
hidden files

i have windows xp sp1 in this window how can i restart my computer in ms dos mode.

Collapse -
one more problem..

Hi frnds..Even I got affected by the same virus/spyware/trojan ,whatever it may be..It was in one of my frnd's flash drive..after being affected i was facing two problems..one was that I was unable to change folder options so that I can view hidden file,which has been solved thanx to u guys..Bt one more problem still persists.
Whever I go to command prompt, that is cmd.exe it does not recognize many commands,like it does not recognize commands such as attrib or help or ipconfig..just few commands like dir are being executed..I m unable to understand what may be the problem..may be u guys can give me some idea how to solve this problem.I hv even tried replacing it with the same file from different computer..but even that didnt help..

Collapse -
Ipconfig is not recognised as internal or external command

In reply to: one more problem..

Reply to alok4best problem

To solve your problem pertaining to the above subject follow the below steps:

Right click my computer-properties-advanced-enviornment variables-system variables-change 5 or 6th entry "Path" to %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%.

Collapse -
how can I delate trogan virus

In reply to: one more problem..

Hello everyone, I got this virus trogan and antivirus 2009 and I think I deleted the antivirus 2009 in safe mode, but I can not find the trogan one. My computer is working very slow.

I would love to hear any advice.

Nitzeli

Collapse -
Remove antivirus 2008/2009

In reply to: how can I delate trogan virus

Just go to www.superantispyware.com and download superantispyware install and update it and scan your computer it will be fine. if you satisfy dont forget me.

Collapse -
Thanks

Guy!! thanks for your tips.. with it I can solve my problem

Collapse -
FOLLOWING FILES ARE NOT FOUND

In reply to: Thanks

HAVING THIS ERROR OF FOLLOWING FILES ARE NOT FOUND, PLEASE CHECK PATH: AND IS ON MY C:DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, THIS IS WHEN I TRY TO UPLOAD A PHOTO TO A COMPANY, I USED TO DO IT WITH NO PROBLEM, CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM?

Collapse -
Please tell more.

In reply to: FOLLOWING FILES ARE NOT FOUND

What exactly are you trying to do with what program and what files or folders exactly aren't found?

And can you find them in My Computer?

Kees

Collapse -
KEES THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS

In reply to: FOLLOWING FILES ARE NOT FOUND

I'M TRYING TO UPLOAD A PHOTO FROM MY COMPUTER TO THE WEB PAGE OF THE INSURANCE COMPANY, MY FILE IS FOUND AND SAVED ON MY DOCUMENTS AND I CAN FIND THEM ALWAYS IN MY COMPUTER THEN MY DOCUMENTES BUT CAN NOT UPLOAD THEM TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY.............I CAN BROWSE THE PHOTO BUT WHEN I HIT UPLOAD SHOW ME THE ERROR FROM WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER:
FOLLOWING FILES ARE NOT FOUND.PLEASE CHECK THE PATH:C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\

Collapse -
Re: error

In reply to: KEES THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS

What I understand:

You want to upload a picture to an insurance company using some webpage they offer. Could be picture of a stolen item or a damaged car they asked you to upload, or something like that.
So they have an upload button on their page and that doesn't work.

If you've got no other problems with your computer, I'd call their support dept and see what they tell you about it.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks...

that was a great technique...

Collapse -
Thanks its working....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.