Computer Help forum

General discussion

Show contents of folder to right of listing of all folders

Last week I had to do a full system restart, including format C:\

However, in the past if I opened My Docs in Win Explorer, I would see a list of folders and below those individual files. These were all arrayed on the left of the screen.

If I clicked on a folder, the contents would be shown to the right of the initial list, and the initial My Docs list was still there. That presentation made it easy to drag and drop from the right side into another folder on the left.

Now, when I click on a folder, it's contents occupy the entire screen. That is, I no longer see the full My Docs listing on the left.

Please tell me how I can get back to that case. (I have played with several combinations in Control Panel > Folder Options, but with no luck.

Thanks in advance yet again for any help.

Vince Rosati

(XP, Gateway, 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Show contents of folder to right of listing of all folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Show contents of folder to right of listing of all folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Show contents of folder to right of listing of all folde

In reply to: Show contents of folder to right of listing of all folders

Vince, Open My Documents and click the Folders Toolbar button (looks like 2 folders).

Tufenuf

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Show contents of folder to right of listing of all folde

Tuf,

Sheesh! Color me embarrassed. Is there a way to make that the default configuration of My Docs?

And, if you don't mind, now that I have your "ear," another question: When my computer booted in the past, I saw a screen that gave me the choice of opening windows normally or in safe mode, plus some other options. I have tried modifying the boot process (via F2 on my computer), but no luck.

Thanks for your quick rely and advice,

Vince

Collapse -
Errr...

When my computer booted in the past, I saw a screen that gave me the choice of opening windows normally or in safe mode, plus some other option

You should be happy that you are now not getting that screen...which appears only when there is something amiss in your system.

To get that boot menu or options screen, press F8 and hold once a second while the computer is booting up, i.e. right after you power on the computer. This is for diagnostic purposes.
Collapse -
Re: Explorer toolbar

Vince,

In Explorer, goto View>Explorer-bars, and check Folders. That's what you mean?

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Explorer toolbar

Papa Echo and Kees:

Thanks for the replies.

OK, I'll be glad that I don't see that screen. My computer had been degrading over a long time, so maybe I thought that that screen was normal. First I lost the "beep" for Toggle Keys, then my audion got noisy static-y, I couldn't open G Mail, and CITRIX didn't owrk (CITRIX is a way for me to get to my off-site e-mail), and a few other odd things. After I did a complete OS restart, all that stuff came back.

Re the folders: Yes, clicking View > Explorer Bars > Folder gives me the view that I want. Can I make that view the default view, so that when I open My Docs I see the list on the left and right?

Thanks very much for your patience and knowledge.

Vince

Collapse -
Actually Vince that menu you had is NOT a "bad" thing ...

it is the result of how your BOOT.INI file happens to be configured.

If you want the easy Safe Mode option on booting without having to mess with the F8 key you just add Safe Mode to the Boot.ini. This is how I personally prefer any access to Safe Mode. Here is a link to the simple addition to the Boot.ini file:
http://www.hexff.com/xp_boot.php

The only things the page does not make clear is that Each line of the boot.ini in the [Operating Systems] section begins with multi because the example makes it look like there may be line breaks. I have placed a graphic online showing what it should look like - no line breaks. The line you would need to add is the one Colored green.
http://www.oldsmokie2.com/graphics/boot_ini.jpg

I have also installed the Recovery Console to my hard drive so I also have that last line (colored blue) which you do not want to add. It is added automatically when you install the Recovery Console IF you want ot do so. If you do want to add the Recovery Console, here is a handy link to guide you through the installation.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/install-recovery-console-as-a-boot-menu-option-on-windows-xp/

Collapse -

In reply to: Actually Vince that menu you had is NOT a "bad" thing ...

Edward,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it and see what happens. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - flu.

Regards,

Vince

Collapse -
Modifying boot.ini file

I tried the suggested mod, but it didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

Vince

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.