Question

Shoulder mount for Canon XF305?

Hi, I recently purchased a Canon XF305 and am looking for a good shoulder mount for it. Any and all suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Shoulder mount for Canon XF305?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Shoulder mount for Canon XF305?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
I used google to find those.

And found the usual solutions. You may want to try that and then see if any vendor has them on display or has a demo unit for you to try as these are usually expensive things.
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Could you please

define "good"? The Canon XF305 specs indicate it weighs 3.5 pounds. That would be with the stock battery, no mounted external mics or wireless battery-powered portable base stations or video light or monitor... I've used a couple of different models with a Sony HVR-Z1/HDR-FX1/HDR-FX1000 (around 4.6 pounds), Panasonic AG-HVX200 (around 5.7 pounds with battery), Sony HDR-HC1/HVR-A1U (about 2 pounds) and Canon HF S100 (about a pound).

The different shoulder mounts all work about the same. And after a few minutes your arms will be tired whether the shoulder-mount has you using one hand or two. Even the ones with the counterweight on your back and those which have a pole-mount to a belt... I don't know what you plan to be shooting, but if it is anything that can take a while, I suggest that you save your money for something more along the lines of a vest-type counter-weighted arm like those from Steadicam, Glidecam or Varizoom... or even one of the overhead suspension systems from Easyrig. Yes, they are LOTS more $, but you aren't depending on your arm strength. And they have the advantage that walking or running with them can all you to capture very stable video (the shoulder-mount systems won't do that).

On the other hand, if you are capturing relatively short sequences and you don't have to stand around being ready much, then (as previously stated), the shoulder-mount add-ons all work about the same. Of the ones I used, I like the SpiderBrace 2 - and my home-made system.

Another issue (other than arms getting tired) is a pro-grade shoulder mount cameras' eyepiece is where the LCD panel flips out on all of the camcorders listed above (including your XF305). The SpiderBrace2 (and my home-made system) allows comfortable use of the eyepiece at the rear of the camcorder (the LCD panel can also be used).

- Collapse -
I will look into the SpiderBrace 2

Hi, I will look into the SpiderBrace 2. I thought of a shoulder mount when I shoot long format documentaries, something I could use for a long period of time that works well with the XF305. A Steadicam would not do in these situations. Maybe a monopod would be ok?

CNET Forums