General discussion

Should you leave computer on always?

I see many of the auto updates are set to run at 2 or 3 AM, suggesting that you leave your computer on all the time. Is that bad for the computer? I've heard that you should shut it down to get rid of the mess left by dirty programs, etc.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Should you leave computer on always?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should you leave computer on always?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ON

Always on. Off during heavy lightning storms only.
2 years and going.

- Collapse -
No right answer

It depends on your particular usage habits. I usually have my system doing something all hours of the day. For other people, it'd be a waste of electricity to leave it on all the time.

I'd say if it's going to be doing more than just sitting idle, leave it on, otherwise turn it off, save on your utility bill.

- Collapse -
Yew tells You right. LOL

This issue has been discussed for years in these forums. Do whatever satisfies yourself.

You can change the time that auto downloads occur, or simply do it manually at your convenience.

MS will bug you continuously that updates are available.

- Collapse -
Care to read 520 CNet posts on the subject?
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=19769&messageID=211343

Myself, for the past 6 years running 3 computers, I think for safety and giving the PC's a needed rest & restart (just like giving a vitamin pill), I turn mine off each night. One overheated in the power supply and hate to think my smoke alarm wouldn't catch it in the middle of the night. Also without a high end (joules) surge suppresser with their insurance, current changes...lightening storms can zap while sleeping or gone.

JR
- Collapse -
OFF

CNET Forums

Forum Info