Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Should we sign a treaty with Al Quaeda?

by Evie / January 5, 2005 6:12 AM PST

A good read by the man who led the 1995 terrorism prosecution against Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and eleven others.

Should We Make a Treaty with al Qaeda?
The opposition to Alberto Gonzales seems to think so.

Since the early 1990s, al Qaeda has, at the very least, killed American soldiers and desecrated their remains in Somalia; urged the murder of all Americans ? civilians and military alike ? wherever on the globe they may be found; conducted simultaneous sneak attacks on the American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, resulting in the mass murder of over 240 civilians (the vast majority of them Muslims and non-Americans); killed 17 American seamen in an attempt to blow up the destroyer, the U.S.S. Cole; murdered 3,000 Americans in hijack attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon; and spearheaded guerrilla wars in Afghanistan and Iraq that have killed well over a thousand American military personnel and countless civilians.

In addition to killing civilians in sneak attacks ? commonly, detonating bombs within nondescript cars parked or driven in broad daylight in densely populated areas ? they also secrete themselves among their once and future victims. They wear no distinguishing insignia to segregate themselves as a militia. They use mosques and schools and hospitals to plan and store weaponry. They feign surrender and then open fire on unsuspecting coalition forces attempting the civilized act of detaining, rather than shooting, them. As for treatment of their own detainees, their practice ranges from execution-style homicide to beastly beheading ? usually captured on film and circulated on the Internet to buck up the other savages while scaring the living hell out of everyone else.

So here's an idea: Let's make a treaty with them.

Let's reward this behavior with a grant of honorable-combatant status. Let's give them the same kind of benefits the Geneva Conventions reserve for soldiers who play by the rules: who identify themselves as soldiers; who don't intentionally murder civilians; who do not threaten schools, hospitals, and houses of worship by turning them into military targets; who grant quarter honorably; and who treat their captives with dignity and respect. Let's provide al Qaeda with "amenities such as dormitories, kitchenettes, sports equipment, canteens, and a monthly pay allowance in Swiss francs" ? the Geneva prescriptions for POWs that Lee A. Casey and David Rivkin Jr. outline with characteristic clarity in the current issue of National Review.

Of course, we'll have to find someone from al Qaeda able to sign the treaty....

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should we sign a treaty with Al Quaeda?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should we sign a treaty with Al Quaeda?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) well id say when hell freezes overn
by Mark5019 / January 5, 2005 6:36 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah, send Osama an airline ticket.
by EdH / January 5, 2005 6:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Absolutely, all they have to do is turn over all the current
by Ziks511 / January 5, 2005 6:45 AM PST

crop of terrorists and the whole of the leadership for trial along with all their weapons, computers, cell phones and every scrap of paper they've ever touched. If we give it to the World Court in the Hague they should be old men incapable of much except dribbling by the time the trial is over.

Rob B

Collapse -
Hmmm, how about a spot in the Sahara Desert
by Kiddpeat / January 5, 2005 6:53 AM PST

surrounded by an impenetrable mine field. We could parachute supplies in to them. Let's see what they do to each other.

Collapse -
Kidpeat where's your thinking, theyre already desert dweller
by Ziks511 / January 5, 2005 12:53 PM PST

Put them on an inhospitable oil platform in the South Atlantic and helicopter the supplies in only on Jewish holidays. It would keep them fed and give them a new appreciation of Jewish religion. I do agree about the mine field, but it will have to be marine mines and the platform should be rigged to blow instantly if the overall weight decreases by what, 5 bodies? That ought to keep the rescues at bay, and they'll learn how miserable too much water can really be. There's nothing quite like being cold AND wet.

Rob B

Collapse -
OK, then put it in the North Sea. I hear it's a lot of fun
by Kiddpeat / January 5, 2005 1:21 PM PST

there in the winter. It sounds like my ancestral home, but my people didn't come from the desert.

Collapse -
KP if your ancestor were from the Isles, then you know
by Ziks511 / January 11, 2005 2:53 PM PST

that the North Atlantic Side of Scotland is much tougher than the North Sea side, which is where my forebears settled. (Fife just north of Edinburgh).

There's a sweet little holiday spot called Rockall that is proverbial in English comedy. You'll find it midway between Iceland and Scotland I reccommend that it would make a great resettlement spot. It's also about 5000 square feet and mostly vertical.

Rob (sorry about the delay, I've now got sinusitis and an earache.)

KP try to find a copy of the movie Whisky Galore or Tight Little Island. You'll fall all over yourself laughing about island folk and Teuchters as the highlanders are called (pron. Chyook'h'ters) it's the opposite of Sassenachs which is Highland Scots for "Saxons". It was made just after the war and tells the semi-true story of the grounding of the SS Politician, a ship bound for America in 1940 loaded to the brim with whisky. If you find it and see it you'll never think an unkind thing about me again, it's that good.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tell 'em to meet us for a talk about it.
by C1ay / January 5, 2005 7:24 AM PST
Collapse -
You don't have to sign a treaty with terrorists, Evie...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 5, 2005 11:44 AM PST

to repudiate the use of torture and other approaches that shouldu be beyond consideration for a civilized nation. Incidentally, the DoJ has now repudiated the Gonzales memorandum, and Gonzales has promised to abide by the restrictions.

This has a personal import for me, Evie -- I resigned from the Gonzaga High School Alumni Association (a Jesuit school I loved, and where I was salutatorian) after they named Pat Buchanan "distinguished alumnus of the year" a few months after he'd written an editorial in the Washington Post supporting the use of torture on Viet Cong prisoners "if American lives might be saved by the information obtained." Y'all like the term "sub-human" -- my bottom line is that anyone who engages in torture is sub-human, as you folks use that term.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
and what would
by Mark5019 / January 5, 2005 12:27 PM PST

the ones that support the enemy?

look in the mirrors peeps you nay sayers killing our troops, just like you killed us in nam.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.