TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Should Standard Def. look this bad?

I have a 37" Vizio hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box via HDMI. HDTV looks great. DVDs look great. The problem is that Standard Def programming, particularly sports like hockey, look terrible. Is this the norm with HDTV LCDs or could this be a problem with my LCD? Is there anything else that could be the problem? I've tried component cables with the same results. Any info would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should Standard Def. look this bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should Standard Def. look this bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uh_oh, you are hooked!

In reply to: Should Standard Def. look this bad?

Now anything less than HD is crap. Maybe having the signal going through some upcoversion device might help (just thinking out loud).

Collapse -
Just some FYI

Cool Aid Effect!!!!
What does this have to do with HDTV you ask, well just read on.

We all know how to make Cool Aid:
One pack of Cool Aid, two cups of sugar, two quarts of water!
Drink and enjoy the sugar rush, rotting teeth, etc. But I digress.
Now add two more quarts of water. It will still have some color and some taste.
But won?t be the same as it was before.
This is sort of what happens when you watch SD video on a HDTV.
Some HDTVs are better than others at displaying SD video.
Some work better component cables, some work better with HDMI.
Sadly, this craps shoot!

Maybe getting a upscalling DVD player will help. There have been many post complaining about the SD video quality on HDTVs. But SD will never look as good as HD does this is life. John

Collapse -
I think it is more than just the HD v. SD difference.

Thanks for the responses so far. The problem is that I think it is worse than the normal HD v. SD difference. SD honestly looks FAR worse than it did on my old tube. I have the upconverting DVD player and it looks great. Again HD channels look great. Also, I've tried both HDMI and component cables. The problem is that SD is more or less unwatchable, especially sports.

Collapse -
cable box

In reply to: I think it is more than just the HD v. SD difference.

Collapse -
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VIZIO AND LETS SAY SONY HA HA

Every Sony I have seen s.d. looks awsome. Even my old Toshiba 72 D.L.P puts out a good s.d. picture. Iam sorry but I dont see why you folks just love those off brand t.v.s for a few bucks more you can buy a hi-quality brand name set. there is no need to buy off brand. just problems and poor picture quality sorry stewee

Collapse -
I was waiting for "buy name brand" comment.

Yeah, I figured someone would just blame the fact that it doesn't say "Sony" on the front of my LCD. The problem is that is have $900 to spend, no more unfortunately. Because of this, I think that I'll be taking this TV back and waiting a few more years. I was hoping to make HDTV a reality this year, but looks like I'll need to wait due to budget restraints. I too am sorry because I spent many hours researching this thing and thought the Vizio would be good...not great...but good enough coming from an old 27" Panasonic. Oh well. Also, I've already tried all the setting on the cable box, but it's not better.

Collapse -
SJR ANOTHER IDEA

In reply to: I was waiting for "buy name brand" comment.

First sorry I did not mean to hurt your feelings. Why not look for a 35" tube hi-def set. I know they are hard to find. Sony did make a awsome t.v. that you can pick up for about $800 were taking about stunning picture quality, a t.v. that should last for years without problems Its heavy but who cares. Also its repairable steweee

Collapse -
STEWIE IS RECOMMENDING A SONY CRT......

In reply to: SJR ANOTHER IDEA

IT MIGHT DO WELL FOR YOU.

SONY 34XBR970. Just bulky and heavy.
High picture quality. God knows the price is right.

river.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advise

In reply to: STEWIE IS RECOMMENDING A SONY CRT......

Thanks for the advise on the HD CRTs. Any you'd recommend other than the 34" Sony? I know there are not that many on the market, but quality reviews seem to be hard to find. Thanks again.

Collapse -
SONY STILL MAKES SD-TVs 4:3 RATIO SETS WITH HDTV CABILITIES

In reply to: Thanks for the advise

LARGE SCREEN 4:3 (SDTV)models include both the
KD-32FS170 and KD-36FS170; these also have HDTV tuners. Watching HDTV on these sets will be letterboxed.

The SONY KD-34XRB970, is a HDTV with 16:9 HD format. It has a two year warranty on service, parts, and CRT tube.

I bought a the 34XS955 as it was being discontinued for about $800.00.
Essentially the same as the 970, but with better features.

As for other mainstream CRT's; SAMSUNG was manufacturing a line of CRT's called "Slim-FIT" with only mediocre reveiws. Truthfully I don't know if are still available.

Riverledge.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.