Desktops forum

General discussion

Should I wait to buy?

by countrugen987 / October 19, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

It seems that there's a lot of talk-on-the-street out there in regards to the electronics industry (PCs, HDTVs, etc). The word is that inventories are bulging and price drops are coming. Well, it just so happens that I'm in the market for a new TV and a new PC. Should I buy now, or will prices really fall all that much in coming months? If waiting a month or two will net me a $100 savings, it's really not worth it to me to wait, but if significant price drops ($150+) are set to occur, I'd prefer to wait.

Anyone have any thoughts or info on this? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I wait to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I wait to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ALWAYS!!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Should I wait to buy?

The reasons are simple. If not the price drop you will get more for you buck when you wait. I waited and picked up a much nicer laptop on sale during a tax holiday. Double savings.
Bob

Collapse -
Market forecast
by Yumpin_Yimminie / October 19, 2008 4:21 PM PDT

I've heard that the retailing environment for this holiday season is going to be pretty dismal. I've also heard that for most retailers the holiday season is also the time of year where they make most of their sales...with many actually making more sales during this season then the rest of the year combined. They will slash prices to get the sales numbers up and also to get rid of inventory which they probably ordered before the recent Wall Street meltdown.

My laptop started showing signs of critical keyboard failure.t I think I'm going to let my desktop keyboard do double duty (use it on laptop) until pretty far into the holiday season. I think the sales are going to be pretty extraordinary.

Collapse -
Deal time
by Willy / October 20, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

Under normal circumstances at around Thanksgiving day and later the deals really start to flow. Besides any good deals beforehand but you can practically expect it during that time. However, "now" because of the economic downturn, its early now. I would expect during the normal period the deals may even get better as always. Then again, HDTV deals are here already but may get tighter as the final days of analog broadcast are past. All in all it's worth waiting to buy but please buy from a trusted vendor and know what you're getting.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.