Cameras forum

General discussion

Should I wait for the Sony H50 or go for ones available now?

by seventyoneplace / April 3, 2008 12:42 PM PDT

I want to buy a new camera for my trip at the end of April and has been researching for a while. I am always interested in photography but not to the extent of being a professional. My trip is coming up soon and I would really appreciate if you guys can help me decide on a couple options:

Sony DSC H50 (I really love the look of it but the May release date means that I won't get it in time for my trip Sad But how do you guys feel about Sony cameras?)
Sony DSC-H9 (since this will be replaced by H50 in May, is it still worth getting now?)
Canon PowerShot G9
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Canon PowerShot S5

My criteria: Price range below $500, size not important, above average color rendering, sharp image, image stabilizer, adjustable ISO

Thank you for your opinions in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I wait for the Sony H50 or go for ones available now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I wait for the Sony H50 or go for ones available now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should I wait for the Sony H50? Of course not
by mariofl / April 4, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

Hi,

I don?t think that you may wait until may for this Sony camera, what about your trip? you will miss the photos...

Why don?t you try the Olympus SP-570 UZ camera... this Olympus will be released next April 15th, so it will have the latest features like: Shadow Adjustment Technology, Face Detection, Perfect Shot Preview and the most important Dual Image Stabilization (which is a mechanical sensor shift image stabilization plus a digital one)... I can say than digital image stabilization doesn?t work as the mechanical stabilization (which works fine).

I own an Olympus SLR camera and its performance is pretty good, so I recommend Olympus cameras for you.

Hope it may be useful for you... and good photos in your trip...
Mario

Collapse -
Olympus vs. Canon
by seventyoneplace / April 4, 2008 1:25 AM PDT

Yah, I probably can't wait for the H50 since it won't come out before my trip. But I just like the look of it.

Thanks for the recommendation. How is Olympus compare to Canon? Olympus is a little bit of an unfamiliar territory for me. Do they have more features, picture quality, durability etc...

thanks!

Collapse -
Canon vs Olympus
by mariofl / April 4, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Olympus vs. Canon

Hey,

review www.olympusamerica.com or the CNET reviews about Olympus cameras... or check amazon.com

About your question, Canon and Nikon are the most popular camera brands, and I read somewhere that Olympus is more popular than Sony cameras (talking about DSLR cameras) but I?m sure that Olympus is not a bad camera, it is a good camera with good quality pictures, good features, good looking, etc.

Review the specs for the cameras you are considering to buy, compare them and look the cameras at any store...

Mario

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.