Mac OS forum

General discussion

Should I wait for the Core 2 Duo in the MacBook/Pro?

by wlaun / October 5, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

I currently have a PC laptop. It still serves me OK, but it is old, slow and locks up often. I am dying to get a MacBook and utilize some of the software available for the MacBook. There is no urgency, except the wait is becoming a distraction. I expect the MacBook to give me some real gains in productivity. I am not a gamer. I use office applications and research the net.

What benefits or advantage will there be for me if I wait for the supposed MacBook/Pro with the new core 2 duo processor? Will I notice it much to make a difference? Will the core 2 duo give me more flexibility in the future?

I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks, Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I wait for the Core 2 Duo in the MacBook/Pro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I wait for the Core 2 Duo in the MacBook/Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Core 2 Duo
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 12:21 AM PDT

As there is no urgency, and you can afford to wait for the Core 2 Duo's to be part of the line up, you might as well.

However, there is no guarantee that Apple will put that processor into a laptop any time soon so your wait may be much longer than you anticipate.

The benefits and advantages of the Core 2 are primarily its speed and efficiency.

I'm not sure what you mean by flexibility but you will be getting the (current) latest processor in the machine.

P

Collapse -
Core 2 Duo - 64 bit?
by wlaun / October 5, 2006 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Core 2 Duo

Thanks for the reply. In terms of flexibility, I have heard that the Core 2 can run 64 bit programs. I am not sure what that ia all about, and how important that is.

Collapse -
You are correct.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Core 2 Duo - 64 bit?

All of the Core 2 Duo machines are 64 bit capable. OS X is also 64 bit capable. It has the 32 and 64 bit versions in the installer and whichever one you can handle, gets loaded.
OS X is also capable of running 64 and 32 bit applications and utilities.

P

Collapse -
Way back when mrmacfixit
by gilbertwhite1 / October 5, 2006 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: You are correct.

Both of my computers are ''vintage machines'' by todays standards and my next system will be a state of the art Mac. Therefore it will be 64 bit.
I don't exactly recall when but anyways I think it was in the eighties when 32 came along and a lot of people were going off the deep end due to the change in technology. I recall many people asking ''how about us with the 16 bit systems?...The explanation I saw at that time was ''not to worry that the 16 bit machine would simply look at the 32 bit data twice to interpret data? Is that an over simplification of the situation or was there some truth to that?... At that time I had a Tandy, then followed by a x386 Just curious. I did note your comment on how Apple is handling the installer to accomodate both types of processors, just curious about the rest of us?

Collapse -
Installers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 10:50 PM PDT

The "rest of us" will be fine. Just as we are now. Those with Intel Macs will get the Intel version of the OS and those with PPC will get the PPC version.
Likewise, those with 64 bit systems, Intel & G5, will get the correct system and us lesser mortals with ancient equipment will get the 32.

You can already see that in action with the Software Update program. Notice how you never get anything for the Intel Mac?

I'll leave the explanation of the 16/32/64 bit workings to Bob. (in layman's terms please)

P

Collapse -
Fresh from the Rumor Sites
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

"Apple Computer this month has begun to slow production of its existing Core Duo MacBook Pro professional notebooks ahead of refreshed models that will sport Intel Corp's higher-performance Core 2 Duo microprocessors, AppleInsider has learned,"

They are busy ramping up, just for you. Happy

P

Collapse -
MacBook Pro
by wlaun / October 8, 2006 7:14 AM PDT

You think so? Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.